Certified reptiles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless they are ID chipped of course, but who has the money for that :D!

Microchipping is not that expensive if you do it yourself instead of taking your snakes to a vet. PIT tag scanners (to read the PIT tags) are expensive. The biggest problem is, you can't microchip juvenile snakes, geckos, etc..

Bring it on champ, have a shot at me if it makes you feel good.
Every good thread ends up in s*&&%$ when some do-gooder brings the subject of money into it.

Me? Woahhhhhhhhhhhh you took that very wrong!!!!!! No offence was intended! Sorry for any ambiguity mate!

OK, so we have some people for it and some against it. Me, I see it as a good idea .

For people with long term beeding projects it is most likely already happening anyway to track pairings and development of desired traits (eg Waterrats comments throughout this topic). It may be that the information is not leaving the breeder, but to reduce the likelihood of unintended inbreeding down lines it would be good..

For "show" reptiles - I think this could come in as criteria for entry in the future. For "pet" animals- most probably not necessary as is the case for other animals (dogs, cats, etc.) as raised by Fugawi.

Should it be mandated - no. Should there be some attempt to get consistency in the information collected and reported if the buyer wants a certificated animal - yes.

Will someone in 20 years time thank those who do collect and make the information available as part of a study into australian reptiles; most likely yes. Hey, I even see adverts on TV for me to track my own genealogical lineage..... lucky someone filled in those certificates

Settle down big fella, no-ones having a shot at you. What makes ME feel good is civilized discussion without jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. But hey, your thread and my opinions clearly don't match up, so I'll butt out.

Threads only end up in a ******fight when people want them to be. It is possible to have ALL aspects of a discussion take place without them ending up like that....

Lets let others judge the aim of your post and its practicality in this discussion.

Last edited:
Here's a question for you......How do we go about starting a breeders registry/council right here and now?

Here's a question for you......How do we go about starting a breeders registry/council right here and now?

It would have to initiated and handled by an independent body / person. Years ago I proposed to set it up myself but that's definitely not on now. An experienced dog /cat / horse breeder with inside knowledge of the administrative procedures and a side interest in reptiles would be ideal.
However, it would be naive to expect all, even most breeders to join.

I used to breed huskies and was registered with the canine council of NSW. I'm currently unemployed so I have the time. The questions are should it be registered as a club or organisation. Should it be a state thing or National? Where do I go to start it? Lets not just talk lets start the process of doing.

Good on you! I would suggest it would have to be on national level, considering the frequency of interstate transactions.
Start a new thread here and on other forums to assess the interest first.

I like it! and @ that persons misguided comment before Krauss was NOT Jungle Krauss until he started line breeding Jungles and keeping good records of lineage, people are not born with reputation, they make it with good stock and good dealings with the public.

Many people want to know the locality that their critter originated from, one customer who wanted a certificate also wanted a pic of the area and a bit of information about it and he was genuinely interested. I guess some people really get nostalgic about their critters and locale which I think is really cool, for these people ,certificates would likely mean alot more.

I like it! and @ that persons misguided comment before Krauss was NOT Jungle Krauss until he started line breeding Jungles and keeping good records of lineage, people are not born with reputation, they make it with good stock and good dealings with the public.

I agree, & the biggest problam as allways is sorting out the crooked ones, as someone else has said unless it is coupled with microchiping it won't work.

There are some well known reptubale breeders allready NOW provide not certificates but breeding cards with bloodlines & history attached. This is still however only as reliable as the person providing the info.

Take the Krauss Jungle as an example. Peter made a line for himself & people paid good money to get that line. Now many years later I could say that my jungle was Krauss line.

Under a certificate system I could only say that, if I had the certificate of authenticy to say so for the individual snake that I was selling, which provided breeding lines for both parents.

BUT what if I was dishonest & swaped one of the Krauss lines for something else.

Just food for thought , I like the Idea though Micheal.

Cheers
Ian.

yes but microchipping would prevent the swap..... the animals would have different numbers to what appeared on the certificate. but as Michael pointed out microchipping is inappropriate for the young snakes, I can't think of a way around this.

The way I see it, if you can't trust the word of the buyer then a piece of paper doesn't change anything as it would be so easily frauded. I'll admit it is a nice touch, but I don't think it adds any real value or legitimacy unless it is coupled with microchipping or DNA testing which for the vast majority of snakes isn't feasible.

I agree, you can never stop crooks. But read again my opening post - it did stop one crook.

Very interesting topic but as a few people have pointed out, a lot of flaws in the system, especially not being able to microchip most young herps...

Take a look at how it works with birds.

Have you got any examples -Peter?

No, its just a suggestion based on the way that clubs hold the bands, people cross breed and there is little real control but the upper end of the market stays pretty well intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back