cheap glass enclosures made in china

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
would have no dramas at all buying things locally if small and big business stuck to the 40% mark up they should sell products at, most if not all retailers dont. A few petshops around here have just about cleared out all exoterra tanks and are no longer getting them. Cheap flat pack china crap is now invading! Did buy a few of the exo terras for dirt cheap though

i see these cheap crap tanks everywhere.. my advice make friends with your loca glazier and cabinet maker... i get heaps of tanks cheaper thank buying them pre made and all made to my specs :)

was a cabinet maker 11 odd years ago, going to make a big wall unit to house half dozen or so exoterras when i get around to it. Love the look and ease of cleaning etc of the exoterras

If you don't care about ethics , the environment and global stability buy from china.

oh and quality

They are still at least 20 years behind environmentally from what I've seen, but plenty of other countries have used the same pollution creating electricity techniques and in manufacturing goods also. Perhaps the overseas companies investing in these factories over there could actually invest some cash in the infrastructure instead of squeezing the last cent out of every component.
When I was involved with importing manufactured components from china the chinese government was subsidising exporting at a 5 figure sum each container. Even if the company reject the goods they still kept the subsidy.
I've made some points but I am tired and can't remember where I was going with this.
Basically our drive for "cheaper goods" has brought us to this. If we were happy to pay for the domestically produced goods before the companies chose to look abroad, we wouldn't be here. So we helped them choose. No holiday pay, sick days, super, no EPA, worksafe, unions etc etc for the workers in China.

/rant

I think that it's well worth researching your individual snakes needs for shape and size ie. tall for the jungles and long for the BHP's. The best tanks we have are solid wood hand made, the latest from Aaron Snake whisperer - awesome tank that will most likely last the life of my BHP in style and comfort... lol...

Oh forgot to mention that we got a couple of cheap melamine growing tanks 800 long each because I like my snakes to be seen and they can also get used to us... helps heaps with the handling they love to play up to you for out of tank attention lol...

Last edited:
If price drives your decision then China is the place to go, but i dont know how long we can just dig up Australia and sell it to China and then pay the money back to China to buy what we need. Eventually, when we have sold all of Australia, how do we pay for what we need?
Maybe there are more considerations than just price!

would have no dramas at all buying things locally if small and big business stuck to the 40% mark up they should sell products at, most if not all retailers dont. A few petshops around here have just about cleared out all exoterra tanks and are no longer getting them. Cheap flat pack china crap is now invading! Did buy a few of the exo terras for dirt cheap though

Where do you think exo terra tanks are made?

Also there is no way a shop could afford to survive on a 40% mark up. You might be able to get away with a lower mark up on consumable items such as food and substrates etc but not on one time purchases such as enclosures. They are not a high turn over item therefore shops need to have a higher mark up on them.
How many exo terra units did you buy at there full price? I imagine not many which is why shops are now going with alternative brands which they can still make a decent margin on and sell to you at a price your more willing to pay.

Im not having a go at you or anyone thats your opinion but I just get sick to death of misinformed people shooting down retail stores all the time trying to make out that there all evil corporations out to rape you of all your money.
Most shops i go to and know are run by hobbyists who wanted to open a store and do what they love full time, yes there margins maybe higher then all of these onliners but of their so called outrageous margins there charging they would be lucky to see 10% of it after paying for all the shops expenses eg Rent, power, wages, tax etc

And no I do not own a store before anyone asks but i have worked for a few small ones and know how hard it is for them especially at the moment.

Rant over.

lol oops should have looked yep china, did not say EVERYTHING from china is crap, these flat pack ones are and arent as good a quality. quality is 1st with anything purchased and will always pay more for it. i payed full price on my first one, but not on any of the others. somone forgot to tell me that enclosures are a one time purchase lol. i should correct myself about the most if not all, its more like lots of retailers, more so bigger ones and within certain industrys that i have either worked for or supplied products too. so yeah my mistake not having a go at the little hobby/petshops struggling out there sorry:?

I made the coment befor about how I only by items online. Well i stand by this. I all ways look for site that have a busnes number and that is not a mobile. I much rather online shops as i can browse from home. The thing about going to a shop is that in it self costs cash befor you even get what you want. Then once im at the shop i am stuck with what ever they stock and most of the time its not what i am after. I am not going to pick a lesser brand item when i only buy the best of the best for my animals. The other grate thing about sitting at home in my jokes looking over the net at what im about to buy is i can do a serch on the item and see what others think of it. If its a realy **** produck i will bet you top dollar you will fined some post some where telling you how **** it realy is. Its realy that simple. The other thing that pushes me away from the shops is the people that work in them. I hate it when they come and try and pull a sales man stunt on me and try and get to to buy something i dont want.
Just looking over alot of my gear i use with my tanks the only stuff that made in Australia are the things i have made my self. Whats not made out of the country now days.

Well i feel alot better now i have had my cry have a grate day all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back