Chicken tonight!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
Every time I visited this area I would see a chook hanging about. Today was no exception.

Attachments

• DSC_5478.JPG
    DSC_5478.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_5481.JPG
    DSC_5481.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_5489.JPG
    DSC_5489.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_5520.JPG
    DSC_5520.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_5528.JPG
    DSC_5528.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 116
thing I also saw this guy. It looks in the photo like he is feeding on a piece of meat but I at the time I thought it was some sort of fruit. I've previously learnt my lesson and won't feed a wild goanna ever again

Attachments

• DSC_5536.JPG
    DSC_5536.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_5538.JPG
    DSC_5538.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_5540.JPG
    DSC_5540.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_5537.JPG
    DSC_5537.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_5539.JPG
    DSC_5539.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 83
Great photos Fuscus. What a beautiful specimen! It's good to see you back posting again you old fart! You always were handy with a little black box! lol

I think I need to elaborate.
The chook looks like it had been killed by something else, there were feathers and two wings scattered around the area. No sign of the bids torso. The goanna, who was under a meter, was scavenging, initially she was chewing on a wing then found the head under a log.
The second set is a different goanna who was only about 10 meters away, in the carpark next to my troll. Again the goanna was just short of a meter. It was trying to avoid me when it found the snack. As stated about I thought it was some sort of rainforest fruit or berry but examination of the photos seem to indicate it was raw meat - source unknow

The first series is Sammy but the second sequence is a human body part!
Hence Fuscus' comment "I've previously learnt my lesson and won't feed a wild goanna ever again"!
The key word here is previously. Around 10 years ago I was resting in camp after a walk when a large semi-bells phase goanna turned up ( see attached image). She was much more heavy than the current subjects. I chucked her a piece of ham which she loved but wanted more. It looked around, saw my bare feet then promptly went for them. I had to pin the lizard with a camera tripod while I put on my boots. Once she couldn't see (or smell) my feet she settled down and just hung around camp for the rest of the day.

On a related note, goannas around the Sunny(sic) coast are very common. However almost all are juvenile or sub-adults, I see maybe 50 under a meter for every one over a meter. This implies that there is a population imbalance, possibly a high mortality of full sized goannas.

Attachments

• Animals_Reptiles_Lizards_Goannas_LaceMonitor_BellsPhase_07.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Lizards_Goannas_LaceMonitor_BellsPhase_07.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Animals_Reptiles_Lizards_Goannas_LaceMonitor_BellsPhase_06.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Lizards_Goannas_LaceMonitor_BellsPhase_06.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 68
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back