Child denied life saving surgery because she has brain damaged

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if keeping a person alive prolongs their suffering? There are worse things than death in this world.

In this 'blaming everyone but yourself' generation, these are very fair comments.
But lock tight contracts are a way around this.
No offence, but dr's also get it very wrong.
If you didn't become a doctor to save lives, then when did your morals change?
I would of thought taking a chance on saving a child's life was worth the risk over letting the child die.
There is no animosity in this, just another individual opinion. I am also wrong from time to time...lol

Hi atothej09,

In an ideal world then I guess there would be unlimited funding, for unlimited resources and no one would be sick or die. Obviously this is not the case. In the end someone has to decide where these resources are best spent. Every year this gets more difficult as the cost of health increases. There are only 2 ways around this; either pay for everything, or accept that this is simply not possible and make some difficult choices.

I don't think anyone would disagree that doctors can get it wrong sometimes, and in many cases there is no clear right or wrong. My point was that decisions such as these are never taken lightly, and usually involve a group of people (not just doctors) with different perspectives that work together to come to a decision that is hopefully the best based on the information at hand. This decision might be based on many variables, for example is the procedure may not even be anatomically possible in this patient, and often has nothing to do with funding or organ availability. Whilst what the patient or family wants is central to the process, it must be remembered that any decision can not be based on emotions alone. Sometimes the more humane decision is not to intervene in cases like this one.

As sad as it may be sometimes, death is a natural part of living and no amount of medical intervention can prevent this.

(I'm not sure what you mean by lock tight contracts in regard to what I was writing about sorry.)

Last edited:
if i could donate anything i would but my meds don't allow me to. i know im a perfect match for my brothers and sister but it rips me knowing if they needed a transplant i can't be the donor...not of blood, bone marrow, platelets or organs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back