Chilli?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to rip my birds eye chillis out, they just turn into weeds. Is a birds eye the same as a piri piri? Had hundreds of them growing, was pulling the plants out to feed to the chooks.
My jalapenos are doing well, does anyone know how to pickle them?

Yep, they are African Birdseye.
This pickling works for me;

- Pre-pickle them in brine o'night in the fridge (the salt keeps the skin firm).

For the pickling mix;

- 3 cups white vinegar (apple cider is good too)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp salt (they recommend pickling salt, but I can never find it, and Ive not had any problems!)

Bring the mix to boil in a saucepan and then let it cool.

Whilst waiting, sterilise your jars (I use snap locks from Kmart), and take a fork and prick each chilli a cpl of times to allow the vinegar mix to seep in.
Once the mix has cooled, put your chillis in the jar and add enough mix to cover them. Most will float for a while, but after a few days they'll begin to sink. Those that dont can be gently squeezed with a fork to expel air, and they'll eventually sink.
Best of all (with any of the hotter varieties), after only a few weeks the vinegar mix is nearly as hot as the chillis themselves and is a great additive to sauces etc for both preserving and added heat.

does anybody have a good recipe for chilli sauce? i once had a very good sweet chilli sauce from indonesia. it was nice and hot without being too sweet (i find most of the commercial ones range from a bit too sweet to almost jam-like).
I am hoping to have way too many chillis soon and would love to make a good sauce.

Woeful pic, but a few I picked yesterday;

S7300092copy.jpg

Lost a lot of stuff in the 3 storms Brisbane got late last year, but plants under screen have thrived. No pics of Aji Fish, Serrano or a Sth American variety called Goatsweed.
Good range of colour, flavour and heat this season tho', and jars and freezer are getting a flogging. :lol:

I think the birdseye we get here is the Asian birdseye - very nice, but perhaps different to piri-piri?

Chillis are the bomb I have some jalepenos and orange habeneros growing at the moment and waiting on some Bhut Jolokia seeds

good recipe is

1 mango
30 orange habaneros ( or other chilli )
250grams american mustard
250 ml white vinegar
250grams brown sugar

does anybody have a good recipe for chilli sauce? i once had a very good sweet chilli sauce from indonesia. it was nice and hot without being too sweet (i find most of the commercial ones range from a bit too sweet to almost jam-like).
I am hoping to have way too many chillis soon and would love to make a good sauce.

Hi, I have a lovely herb garden with some chillies in it. I like to make my own relishes and pickles yearly. I have Jalapeno, Siam, Anahiem & Cayenne. A basic receipe I use is from an Albanian friend. You can add or do anything you imagination creates when making chill sauce, so here is the basic one.

Basic receipe for half a doz jam jars is:

2lt icream container of fresh picked Chillies
6-12 small tomatoes(optional)
1-2 tsp tomato paste
1-2 onions finley chopped garlic (as much or as little or none)
dessert spoon salt or less if you add tomato (optional)
1/4 sugar or more if you want it sweet, obviously too much makes it too sweet
1/4 cup vinegar or organic apple cider vinegar.
1/2 to 1 cup water (try not to get it too watery tho)

I usually partly charcoal roast the chillies, it gives the sauce a great flavour, chop them, tomato & paste, onion & garlic. & salt.
Fry it off a little in a little olive oil (some people dont like it oily so dont add if you dont want oily).
Add sugar, vinegar and cook till it reduces and thickens. If you find you have put too much water in and its watery you can thicken it with a bit of water and cornflour, but try to avoid doing that. IMO I just dont like having to do that for fear of losing the flavours a bit.

Grab some jars, wash them and to sterilize, put them in the oven on a low temp to dry.
Spoon it into jars, dont have to refrigerate till you open a jar. Enjoy.

opps..i for got to say add the water, when you add the vinegar..:oops:

About the only thread in Chit Chat that has people with strong opinions (both ways) and not one dispute?
Maybe chilli is.....

That time of the year...

This season;
Orange Bhut (not tried)
7 Pot
Gambian Red Habanero (not tried)
Red Savina
Trinidads
Hungarian yellow wax (4th season!)
Fatalli

and some seeds to get down soon;
Aji Lemon
Goatsweed (one of my favourite chillis)

What have you got cooking this season?

If anyone wants to send me some seeds PM me.... I know a few Chefs here that would like to try some different varientals....

I am obsessed with Piri Piri nandos sauce at the moment.
I started with a bottle of mild, and now smash the ultra hot stuff.

Never used to like chilli, guess it grows on you.

After what was posted today toonz ...anything that even has a chance of making it feel slightly like that ..I will pass on ..that pick has turned me off chilli ..curry ...and any other bum burner stuff

Well I am growing chillis for decorations at our wedding next year. Lucky mum and dad get the chillis I grow. Most of my seeds are from eBay or a chilli store that I found online.

I am still experimenting, but at the moment I have (all in pots):
Rainbow Chilli (bought from the market so that is all I know)
Tepin
Peter
Lonely Heart
Jalepeno
Bolivian Bird Aji
Goatsweed
Long Red Cayenne
Black Pearl
Samoan
Brazilian Starfish
Hot Chilli (Store bought)
Habanero White Jellybean (I haven't been able to start these from seed yet)
I also have another type which I have had for a few years but it still has not fruited.

Does anyone know an easy way to stop them from cross pollinating? I would like to grow more from seed but I am worried about them not being true to type.

After what was posted today toonz ...anything that even has a chance of making it feel slightly like that ..I will pass on ..that pic has turned me off chilli ..curry ...and any other bum burner stuff
realising not all had the pleasure of that post yesterday ...but toonz will know what I mean ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back