Coastal eggs - Help/Advice Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robo1

Reaction score
G'day everybody,
My female coastal laid eggs on the 30th of Oct/1st of Nov, making this day ~68. From what I've read these should hatch out somewhere between 56-70 days. I've been incubating them at 30.5°C; though the temps in the incubator have fluctuated a bit (1°C up or down), the temp inside the egg container has been much more stable. The medium is vermiculite/water at 50/50 by weight. I haven't been monitoring the humidity with any sort of probe, but judging by the condensation in the container it's been at least 90%, I suspect around 95% or higher.
I had a few die from mould about half way through, but the remaining were unaffected. At the start of this week two of the eggs looked discoloured and I decided to carefully open them up to have a look. The neonate inside was dead but looked well developed. Because of this I had a look inside two of the healthy looking eggs (fearing the worst), but they were alive and by the end of the day had poked their heads out. This morning when I checked the two healthy ones I had opened were totally out of the egg, but dead in the substrate. The remaining eggs look very discoloured this morning, where yesterday they were a healthy even white colour.

I'm asking for advice from more experienced breeders about how to proceed.

View attachment 180359 View attachment 180360 View attachment 180361

from my limited experience the eggs almost look wet. at this stage if they were my eggs i would candle them and get a pair of nail scissors and cut the eggs. if they are alive you will probably see a head poking out in a few days. and maybe even put them on a drier mix of substrate, when i cut my eggs i always put them on some just damp paper towell.

if they are dead you will know from the smell. don't give up just yet, i had some horrid looking eggs give me 2 hatchies this year.

from the first photo looks like only 2 eggs could be ok. Rest looks like death eggs.
regarding your hatchlings, there is many reasons they did not survived. one of them is that you left them in substrate, instead on clean paper or towel. They are covered by slimy egg content and substrate can glue on them and get to mouth. But as I said there is many other reasons. usually temperature fluctuation plays big role. Some times they are just not well developed.

Thanks for the advice and for moving the thread (I realised once I posted it but couldn't move it myself). I'll see how things look tonight. I realise the mistake I made leaving the cut eggs and really should have moved them across into a separate, clean container. As said elsewhere, steep (and harsh) learning curve. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back