coastal x diamond not eating :/

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempest404

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
hot zone 31 (day) 28 (night) also heated hide option @ (36-40 constant, doesn't effect ambient temps, so left on in the event its wanted) cool zone in the low twenties (21-24)
UV fluro on timer for day night, Black/Blue 150watt for primary heat source
substrate: critter crumble (don't see how it would be relevent)
3 hides available one in temperate, cool, and heated
feeding on fuzzies (could go up to weaners soon)
8mnths old (guessing based on remembered hatch date)
fed on a weekly cycle
last fed 2 weeks ago, before that 2 week gap to eating as refused food

Problem:

Never had an issue with him feeding before, smashed dinner as soon as he saw it.
had first issue when I gave him a quail (was wanting to give them variety) and it took being defrosted with a rat to get him to take it. cycling between the two over a 5 week period till out of quail and no problems (defrosted with rat quail combo each time as feeding his brother aswell)
upgraded to fuzzies after all eaten, no problems with first 2, then all of a sudden nothing, sniffs it but no strike unless you basically attack him with the food. no problems at all with his brother

Behaviour wise he's stopped sitting under the lamp on the branch and just hide hops, doesn't touch the heated hide unless with a full belly (used to spend some time in there)

Wondering if it's stress related? if he's decided to be a picky eater? or if some things wrong.....

plan of action at this point:

I was going to leave him for a fortnight no food, no handling, just change his water and try again then and see if there's improvement. make him hungry and try to reduce stress :)

Opinions??

NOTE: his growth rate in response to food has been freaking ridiculous, fed on a matching routine to his brother he's an easy 3" longer and definitely thicker. Older pic of click clack attached, blub has changed and roll swapped for something more suited but set up internally the same.

Attachments

• 526623_10151535447410240_112136041_n.jpg
    526623_10151535447410240_112136041_n.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 69
Even with the enclosures heated some snakes will naturally go off their food during the winter months. My 2 stimmies are still heated but refuse to eat during the winter.

You have the right idea leaving it be for a fortnight. My coastals occasionally refuse a feed, or snatch it but don't eat it for a few hours. Don't worry too much about it yet, I'm sure he'll start feeding again when he's ready.

How warm is the food your feeding? I know that can sometimes play a part in food rejection.

Rick

There may also be a problem started because of your desire to offer a varied diet (which will be of no special benefit). Changing the established feeding preference for no really beneficial reason may lead to a resistance to the normally offered (and readily available) foods. Not always a good idea.

Jamie

The diamond in him wants to rest for winter. You could consider lowering the cool-end temperatures a little, or just the temperatures in general, and giving him a few weeks off. When my diamonds (adults now) reject at the end of winter, I just offer fortnightly feeds until they take it. Fortunately I've got other snakes who won't turn their nose up at the levftovers.

I wouldn't be concerned unless he starts losing weight, his chest starts rattling, or he goes for more than 3 months without food. When a snake rejects, it's usually nothing.

There may also be a problem started because of your desire to offer a varied diet (which will be of no special benefit). Changing the established feeding preference for no really beneficial reason may lead to a resistance to the normally offered (and readily available) foods. Not always a good idea.

Jamie
yeah i've gathered this from a few people now.... just thought i'd be nice like when giving a dog a fresh bone kinda thing.... kinda regret it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back