Coincidence?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedKev

Reaction score
Hi all, I appreciate most all of you are snake lovers; I, alas, am not. Don't get me wrong -- I don't hate snakes, they just don't thrill me. Anyway, we moved to a bush block a few years ago and we've learned to share our block. So long as they don't come into our immediate space around the house, no worries. That seems to have worked till now.

Yesterday I found a green tree snake entwined in our blinds. And tonight a small red-belly trapped beneath the back door. It has sorta freaked me out as the back door is close to our 18-month old's room, and we have a curious cat and cowardly dog. Can anyone offer any reason why the last two days has invited two snakes into the house? Is there something I should be looking for near the back door and back rooms that might be attracting them. Or am I freaking out over nothing and it's just a coincidence?

Any advice and suggestions and knowledge appreciated.

Hi Mate, they are on the move now because the weather is warming up and the males are out looking for girls and maybe a feed along the way. There is no real reason why they ended up in your house other then they may have followed a scent trail from a prey item or just simply gotten lost.
Get the number of a local snake catcher and keep it on hand. teach your family the proper first aid for snake bite and put the ambulance phone number on the fridge.
hope that helps

I have also seen for sale a solar powered snake repellent, avaliable at shops like Horseland and Saddleworld. Not sure if it really works but might be worth a try. I think it makes a vibration that stops the snakes coming close.

Snakes don't have a big capacity to think,they react.If you must approach them do so cautiously,they attack humans out of defence and self preservation.

Hi Mate, they are on the move now because the weather is warming up and the males are out looking for girls and maybe a feed along the way. There is no real reason why they ended up in your house other then they may have followed a scent trail from a prey item or just simply gotten lost.
Get the number of a local snake catcher and keep it on hand. teach your family the proper first aid for snake bite and put the ambulance phone number on the fridge.
hope that helps

Thanks man. We came back from a camping weekend on Monday last and the missus noticed a 'mousey' smell in the kiddies bedroom. I guess that must be it. How do you get mousey smell out of the house? There's also quite a lot of heavy building around here at the moment: a new council water tower a hundred metres up the road, highway upgrade down the road. I guess there's a lot of displaced wildlife, snakes among them. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back