Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I had one give me a good chew when I was young. A bit of redness, itchiness and minor swelling.

I have been told that women may have a harder time if bitten and envenomated by the BTS ,due to our mammary gland setup ...
but have never had the pleasure of being chewed on( and try to keep that record ) so cant say 100% accurate ;)

I have been told that women may have a harder time if bitten and envenomated by the BTS ,due to our mammary gland setup ...
but have never had the pleasure of being chewed on( and try to keep that record ) so cant say 100% accurate ;)

Never heard of that one but it begs a question - how on earth have they tested such hypotheses? Probably on mice (if it's true). lol

Thanks to absinthe_616 on this thread, again I have leanrt something new, and again it was something I thought I knew already (but was wrong about).

It's amazing how much information gets thrown around and taken as gospel. It only takes a little bit of digging further, or a few simple questions to spark a little more interest and those questions get the spotlight put squarely on them! It annoys me that this sort of "heresay" information is spread, and preached so openly, without an ounce of evidence to support it!

Thanks to absinthe_616 on this thread, again I have leanrt something new, and again it was something I thought I knew already (but was wrong about).

It's amazing how much information gets thrown around and taken as gospel. It only takes a little bit of digging further, or a few simple questions to spark a little more interest and those questions get the spotlight put squarely on them! It annoys me that this sort of "heresay" information is spread, and preached so openly, without an ounce of evidence to support it!

Welcome to the world of internet forums. :p

youre welcome moose XD

hehe, thanks everyone for your input :D i feel alot better about my general knowledge of elapids now, at least, even if colubrids are still a complex mystery :p

Did you let them chew on you, often BTS will give you a "get lost bite" a quick nip, but they need to have a good chew to deliver any venom. I don't think BTS use venom to ward off animals / humans usually, but use it to stop prey they are trying to eat.
Anyone here been envenomated by a BTS?

Yes I have been bitten many times (always deliberatly), if I get a good bite, one in which the BTS holds on and chews for a short time, I get some minor swelling and itching at the bite site but the main reaction I get is at least 4 nights pain free sleep from an arthritic hip!! Strange way of taking medicine I know but it works for me. I am aware of the possibility of a build up to an allergic reaction and wait to be flamed :D

I should add that I catch a large number of BTS during the year, always by hand and have never yet been bitten during the catch, I find them to be reluctant biters and only bite if you restrict their movement making them feel threatened.

Yes I have been bitten many times (always deliberatly), if I get a good bite, one in which the BTS holds on and chews for a short time, I get some minor swelling and itching at the bite site but the main reaction I get is at least 4 nights pain free sleep from an arthritic hip!! Strange way of taking medicine I know but it works for me. I am aware of the possibility of a build up to an allergic reaction and wait to be flamed :D

I should add that I catch a large number of BTS during the year, always by hand and have never yet been bitten during the catch, I find them to be reluctant biters and only bite if you restrict their movement making them feel threatened.

Ah, interesting, they do the same thing with bees in the US, I watched a show once where people went to a bee sting therapist, who gave them "acupuncture" with live bees, in various places to relieve arthritis and various other ailments.... some of these people were being given dozens of stings in one sitting... but it seemed to work..
Yes, I have found most wild BTS's to be placid to flightly, and only one that really didn't want any part of being moved of the road... though I don't come across as many as you northerners...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back