Concerned

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolly

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've got a three month old spotted python, took him out to feed him on the weekend, but he's been hiding in his little hidey-hole since last Thursday. Any suggestions as to whether he's shedding or what he's doing?

if you have only just got him and put him into his new enclosure then hes probly settling in.
how big is the enclosure you have him in ? as enclosures that are 2 big can freak out a young snake and they will tend to hide lots.

LAST THURSDAY!!!!!
I WOULD BE SERIOUSLY WORRIED.
HAVE YOU GOT A GOOD VET NEARBY?????.

RELAXE
just joking.
what i really meant to say was not to worry. its not unusual for an animal to be reclusive and not take a feed.
if hes in a new enclosure itll take a little time for him to settle in.
or he could just be comeing up for a shed.
DOES HE LOOK DULL

s/he is in a click clack container at the moment, inside the main enclosure... s/he did look a little bit dull so hopefully that what is happening.. What should I do If s/he is shedding, I have heard to leave them alone, spray them with luke warm water or damp a cloth to help them shed..

naaa
if its just a spotted in a click clack.
she'll be rigght
small area plus a water bowl give ample humidity

yeah when my snakes are in shed i usually just give them the odd mist... but if its in a ciick clack then misting might raise humidity 2 much... you dont want ur little guy getting an RI...

the cloth thing is usually for snakes that have shed in parts or have had trouble shedding before...

if its his first shed with you then id just let him sort it out and see how its goes.... should be fine...

when mine is about to shed i just fill the bath up a tiny bit with luke warm water, shallow enough for him to still touch the bottom and he will swim around happily for about five minutes. he loves the water and it helps him shed too.

when mine is about to shed i just fill the bath up a tiny bit with luke warm water, shallow enough for him to still touch the bottom and he will swim around happily for about five minutes. he loves the water and it helps him shed too.

i tried that with both my jungle and my spotted a while ago and they both freaked out so i havent done it again... i wished they liked water id ove to see them swim around...

IF YOUR GOING TO PUT THEM IN WATER (which i wouldnt bother with unless youve got an animal with a known shedding problem) MAKE SURE YOU MAKE THE WATER
NOT TO HOT
NOT TO COLD
BUT JUST RIGHT!!!!!
32 degrees is my general temp.

yeh rocky seems realy calm and swims around slowly but my friends spotted freakes out aswell and it tries to slide up the sides to get away from the water.

No big deal, the snake probably comes out at night when you're asleep anyway ;)

Best thing for helping a snake rid itself of its skin "trouble-free" is to put a dish of spagnum moss on a plate, underneath the hide you are using. Give the moss (which you can buy from Bunnings or a garden centre) a few minutes in the microwave to kill off any nasties, then add water to make it moist but not overly damp. This technique has worked absolute wonders with my snakes, including a brown tree snake wich are apparently notorious for poor sloughs (???) - (I wouldn't know as mine has always shed perfectly 8)) Good luck, and don't freak out :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back