Constipation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmdog

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all

Well at the moment I'm a little concerned that my Darwin is constipated, I have noted that he has excreted that white wets stuff about 5 days ago and although I have had him for about 2 months everytime I fed him I can all but guess when he will crap, no expert I am but like to know some help

The white stuff is uric acid, solid urine, quite normal. when did it pass brown poo last? Is there a bulge near the vent? does it coil easily? what temps are you keeping it at? is it drinking?
Is it approaching slough? has its eyes been blue, skin dull/dark? sometimes they wait.

What westham said, or get him out for some exercise.

But what always works for me is to clean the enclosure. Guarantee that no sooner do I clean out an enlcosure and put them back in it they poop, the little and big blighters...LOL

he coils up no dramas and their is a bulge near the vent, I'm not sure about the shed as his eyes are clear have been clear since the last shed on the 8-12 2004 and he has been dunking his head in his water bowl the last 2-3 nights, hope that not cause there is mites cause I haven't visally seen any and temp has been about 24c in the cooler end where the water is but he spends most days near the heat sourse.
His last big brown crap was about 6 days after his previous feeds and at the moment its been about 10 days since his last feed

A luke warm (coolish to you) bath will usually get them crapping, as will some vigorous excersise i.e
slithering around in your hands. Your body warmth may help too. Everything sounds normal, snakes will derive the maximum nourishment for a meal, so what eventually comes out IS waste indeed. If the bulge is not hard, I wouldnt be be too worried. :wink:

sounds like I will have a bath mums not gonna be impressed but It not much of bulge which i just viewed I'll get him out in the morning and throw him on the grass and see if that helps

Thats an excellent thing too farmdog, always works for me, i think the grass kinds stimulates the works. lol :) Dont actually "throw" him though! :p :lol:

i suggest you check the temp where he is basking under the heat source. my diamond enclosure is about 26 in the cool but directly under the heat in her high branch is about 32-34 which is definitely too hot and may cause constipation. also my diamond python will hold her poop in until i let her outside (she's potty trained) if she has a bulge near her vent then put her on the grass and this might encourage her to poo. good luck

You could always toilet train him. I had my carpet toilet trained, he wouldn't go unless I took him outside onto the grass. The problem was sometimes he went before I got outside :S

so much for toilettrain snake if shee sh.. all over you Ha Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back