Correctly installing lighting fixtures.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As per my previous post, that bracket is designed to be fixed internally. The raised edges are so that you have the room to route your cable to a side hole (not top), this is important if you plan on stacking your enclosures, or using these fittings in a multi bay enclosure, etc.

I did read that, thanks. I was just re-stating why I made the post in the first place. Didn't think it'd turn into a legal/illegal electrician thread :p all good though, the more you know...

That looks like mine URS brand and appears to be slightly different to the posters one.

Yes, it is a URS fitting, but as you can see from the OP's new pics, the general design is pretty much the same.

So screw into the underside, got it. Why does the rest of it come apart?

Yes, it is a URS fitting, but as you can see from the OP's new pics, the general design is pretty much the same.
You are right that it looks like it is designed to be mounted that way but IMO not a good way to mount it and I would buy the type that screw directly to something rather than rely on a plastic nut and thread to hold the light up.

Yours is probably meant to be mounted like that and so may the OP and I will stand corrected but imo using a plastic nut and screw to mount a light fitting that you will be putting pressure on everytime that you screw in or unscrew a light globe is less than the ideal situation not to mention the possible melting of the plastic from the hot ceramic.

That's a fair call and it's probably not the smartest design in the world but you get what you pay for and I'm guessing this one cost a little bit less than yours and Rob's. At worst though, the plastic would snap under the load and you'd be forced to buy a new one. I don't think it poses any more of a shock risk than any other "Made in China" electrics people use.

:? So not safe?

It will be fine the way you've got it set up. Just be wary of the plastic attach point when you are replacing globes

So screw into the underside, got it. Why does the rest of it come apart?
Either an alternative mounting method or possibly as stated by another poster to mount a hood for lizards or to access the wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back