Cost To Force Feed A Spotted Python...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knickers19

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Our Spotted has not eaten once in the last 20 weeks and that was 14 weeks ago.... She was only born in January this year so she is still a youngy....

It is Spring now and the temps have gotten higher but she is still very inactive and doesn't move around a lot... She was shedding regulary but now hasn't shedded in 2 months....

Should i consider force feeding from someone experience and how much would it cost....?

Thanks

What are the temps in the enclosure? You say temps have increased, do you mean you have bumped them or do you just mean ambient?
Has not eaten in 14, 20 or 34 weeks? Your post is a bit unclear.

It may be a frustrating thing to consider but what advice have you asked for so far regarding your husbandry? Such as size of enclosure, location of enclosure, photo-period, temps, how and how often it is handled, how you are preparing the food and how you are offering it, when you are offering it, etc? (Please answer these questions so we know what you have already tried and can better help you.)

But i would say yes, it really needs a feed so get in contact with a local experienced breeder NOW and sort out whats going on. Maybe invite them over for a coffee and let them check out your setup, it could be something simple.

sorry the last time it ate was 14 weeks ago and that is the only time in the last 20 weeks.... the outside temps have bumped up... the temps in the enclousure are 32,33 at the hot end and 25,26 at the cold end... it is in a click clack and we handle it often...

Hi guys I just replied but i think syberspace ate my post so I'll post again

My thoughts are that you should take this snake to the vet

can someone recommend a good vet in the SA area ?

i wold recomend not handeling it for a while,
how are you offering the feed to it? how are you deforisting it?
i would try "sent" feeding first before turning to assist feeding,
some good sents to try are , fish, quail or day old chick, and my personal fave asian house gecko (works a treat)

we have tried scenting it but that didnt work at all.... we defrost it the day before and warm it up with warm water and we try feeding it once a week...

we tried back when it first started to refuse food, to not handle it... we went one 6 weeks with out holding it and still wasnt even interested....

try braining the food item 1st, cut a small hole in the head so the insides are exposed. offer it to the spotted, if it's not interested, leave the food with it , shut the click clack and turn the the lights out, check on it in a hr or 2 , dont leave it in overnight tho in case it goes bad.

also defrosting the day before could mean the food your offering is already turning bad, so your spotted wants nothing to do with it. just stick it in tap hot water 5-10mins before you try to feed, it will defrost. change the water to warm it up again then offer.

hope you get a feed into it

You should not be handling it until it gets into a good feeding regime.

we tried back when it first started to refuse food, to not handle it... we went one 6 weeks with out holding it and still wasnt even interested....

The vet would be my first thought. I'm only a newbie to this snake scene, but 20 weeks with only one feed for a hatchie would concern me somewhat.
Good luck; let us know how you go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back