crazy looking snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Came across this pic a while back on the net.... a mad looking little critter if ever I saw one :lol:
It's an atheris hispida african bristly bush viper. Here's some information on them:

Other Common Names:
Rough-scaled Bush (or Tree) Viper; Spiny Bush Viper; Hairy Bush Viper (this latter name should be avoided due to potential confusion with the recently described Atheris hirsuta, a species whose specific epithet literally means "hairy").

Distribution:
Isolated populations in western Kenya, southwestern Uganda, and eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo [formerly Zaire] near Lakes Victoria, Edward, and Kivu.

Description:
Heavily keeled, elongated, and upturned scales. Snout is rounded and eyes are very large. Variable in color and pattern: yellowish green, olive brown, brownish, or black with a pale green venter (also may be black) becoming darker bluish or black caudally. Most members of this species have a dark chevron on head, and many have chevrons or zig-zag markings on body. Males are smaller and more slender than females, which may reach a length of up to 70 cm (28 inches).

Habitat and Behavior:
Equatorial and gallery forests, inland swamps, reed and papyrus swamps adjacent to lakes and rivers. Altitudes between 800-1900 meters. The stomach of the holotype contained a snail. May feed primarily on Hyperolidae reed frogs, but the "rapid slurping" feeding technique that this species is known to exhibit may suggest a specialization for soft-bodied invertebrates such as snails and slugs.

i've heard of a. squamiger but not hispida

the pic...
hisp1.jpg

Wow, looks like something out of harry potter!

it really is a shame we can't keep some exotics. maybe then aussie herps would be a little more knowledgable about some of the fantastic herps that exist overseas.

basketcase said:
i've heard of a. squamiger but not hispida

the pic...
hisp1.jpg

Hey Basket,
Atheris Hispidus or Rough-scaled tree viper is not the same as the more commonly seen and kept Atheris Squamiger(Bush or leaf viper).
A.Hispidus was once many years ago thought to be the same species as 'squamiger', but has for the last few decades been classified as 'Hispidus', they are noticeably different side by side, but pictures can make it difficult at times.
The photo you have there looks like a A. Hispidus to me.
Great little species to work with, especially if you can get CB, which is rare.

Cheers Neil

wow they are trully cool looking snakes! Would absolutely LAHHHV to keep one of those lol :D

I agree, the number of times a photo of a really common or obvious reptile gets posted and most people haven't a clue is amazing. That's not really a criticism but because we have become very insular in our thinking it means we often don't even want to know about overseas animals which is a great shame.
I feel the same when exotics get mentioned people say our animals are the best, if you don't like them then live somewhere else, I have actually heard that said. To me it's just variety.

basketcase said:
it really is a shame we can't keep some exotics. maybe then aussie herps would be a little more knowledgable about some of the fantastic herps that exist overseas.

Yommy In my first post of this pic
It's an atheris hispida african bristly bush viper. Here's some information on them:

Other Common Names:
Rough-scaled Bush (or Tree) Viper; Spiny Bush Viper; Hairy Bush Viper (this latter name should be avoided due to potential confusion with the recently described Atheris hirsuta, a species whose specific epithet literally means "hairy").

Distribution:
Isolated populations in western Kenya, southwestern Uganda, and eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo [formerly Zaire] near Lakes Victoria, Edward, and Kivu.

Description:
Heavily keeled, elongated, and upturned scales. Snout is rounded and eyes are very large. Variable in color and pattern: yellowish green, olive brown, brownish, or black with a pale green venter (also may be black) becoming darker bluish or black caudally. Most members of this species have a dark chevron on head, and many have chevrons or zig-zag markings on body. Males are smaller and more slender than females, which may reach a length of up to 70 cm (28 inches).

Habitat and Behavior:
Equatorial and gallery forests, inland swamps, reed and papyrus swamps adjacent to lakes and rivers. Altitudes between 800-1900 meters. The stomach of the holotype contained a snail. May feed primarily on Hyperolidae reed frogs, but the "rapid slurping" feeding technique that this species is known to exhibit may suggest a specialization for soft-bodied invertebrates such as snails and slugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back