Crocodile growth and fat issues.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crocboy that looks brillant kruger what sort of licence do you need to keep crocs I was recently told by DECCW that crocs where protected species and not allowed to kept at all in NSW

Thanks crocodile_dan. That information is highly valued and welcomed.

@pythrulz. I currently hold a Non-Indigenous Animal Permit from the NSW DPI (Industry and Investment), The permit is actually a loophole in the law because Saltwater Crocs are also found in other countries hence some could be considered Non-Indigenous :) . For those that are interested in keeping alligators this permit also allows this however it is not like a Zoo permit that automatically allows them to keep the species on their category of licence (Class 2, 3a, 3b), You have to apply for a further permit for each species you wish to keep. Crocs and Alligators are class 3b animals and not considered "dangerous" (in the sense of escaping and killing lots of people or the keepers on mass) and are not considered a high pest potential. Dont get me wrong though the licence is not a walk in the park to obtain. I love the fact that in theory I could keep a Tiger as its the same permit private owners of big cats have in NSW :)

When feeding live fish be cautious of some water treatments used by pet shops, I have used live fish without any problems but have been warned about water treatments. if you are able to source aquaculture fish such as those for stocking dams then that is what I would opt for. I know some institutions in Australia provide 5-10cm barramundi and various other natives for their crocodiles. otherwise by a quantity of fish and house them in a tub with air pump and filter until feed out. I would try him on 3-5cm yabbies and guppies initially.

Is it possible to test for and treat internal parasites if present?
I imagine stress would increase the effect of parasite load and weaken its ability to cope?

transmissible diseases are usually present in most systems, crocodiles have salmonellae naturally occurring in their intestine and amongst other bacteria they are generally unable to affect an individual until the host becomes stressed which can be the precipitating factor to septicemia. Crocodiles are affected by internal parasites, bacteria and fungal diseases and the most basic method of observing any health issue is by the animals activity level, appetite and some conditions can be seen visually as lesions or discoloration. fecal smears on a slide may be able to identify some intestinal parasites, if you take a sample to a university biology department they may be able to include it as a sample for graduate education otherwise veterinary consultation would be required.

I have experienced chronic stress dermatitis in two crocodiles one was fatal the other has received treatment for nearly two and a half years and is making a very slow unsteady recovery. Crocodiles are generally quite adept at protecting against disease (I have seen crocodiles kept in filth that were still relatively healthy) once a illness is present and noticeable it is generally an uphill battle at best.

It is with great sadness that I inform you that my little Croc has sadly died, He wasn't very well this morning and was taken to the vets, after extensive and exhaustive effort by the vets the little guy gave up his fight for life and died around 4pm. I would personally like to thank you all for your assistance and have now decided to write (with some expert help) a husbandry manual for looking after neonate and juvenile crocodiles in captivity so that others in the field are able to quickly and effectively manage baby Croc's. My special thanks to Crocodile Dan for his assistance.

Thats really sad, i actually cried at the computer hearing your story, you tried so hard! hope that this one incident didnt put you off crocs for ever, you really do have a amazing window of opertunity to keep one :)

thanks for your kind words, i am sorry for not replying sooner i had a funeral to attend to. It is rather upsetting to have an animal i have cared for with such interest die suddenly however i had a suspicion that it was due soon. I have not given up on baby crocs just yet and hope in the future to obtain another little blighter, for now though i have many other animals to care for that deserve some extra attention as spring is now here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back