Culling question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Slap them properly and they die first go!!!

It does work and have done this method 100's of times..BUT i'm anal and hate the blood pouring from the nostrils that make me have to change the paper! lol JMO

yer your right legs, lve never had a tail skin come off but thats a better way,why risk it...

if i have heaps to do i will usually fill a small air tight bucket up with the mice or rats, and put the lid on. and it doesnt take long for them to go.

It does work and have done this method 100's of times..BUT i'm anal and hate the blood pouring from the nostrils that make me have to change the paper! lol JMO

lol..sound like me..i dont like blood in my enclosures..lol.. once you get used to no blood you dont go back..

if i have heaps to do i will usually fill a small air tight bucket up with the mice or rats, and put the lid on. and it doesnt take long for them to go.

oxygen in co2 out... they soon run out of air & gas them selves..

Isn't this a fairly horrible way to go, though? I would rather quick and painless.

i might try this discolation thingo tmrw lol see how i go watch me pull the whole mouse in half

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this a fairly horrible way to go, though? I would rather quick and painless.
That is why you use CO2 so that they get a quick hit with no oxygen which knocks them out quickly rather than them dieing slowly.

when it comes to dispatching any living animal the fastest and most humane way is all i care about not a little mess on my fingers or the news paper!
the neck dislocation can work well if practiced but there is alot of room for error with that method and I dont feel any inexperienced person should try it unless SHOWN by someone experienced in the tecnique and supervised by them for the first few times

iv seen an inexperienced person twist a chickens head around and around and around until they droped it in horror only to find it run away with its neck hanging to one side! that made me sick!

I also dont think co2 is a very fast way of killing an animal either! how would you feel holding its head underwater until it drowned?

I agree. Slap them properly and they die first go!!!
An afterthought, that's not right! YOU think that they die...I have "slapped" many a rodent on a "brick" to cull them and putting it into perspective.....they are knocked out and come-threw and try and survive...trust me I have witnessed this many times with rats which I thought were dead but came out of it and were still alive!
I am a Hunter and I keep herps and for me a quick clean kill is optimum as it should be! I would never enjoy seeing a Deer, Roo, Rabbit, Pig or a mouse or rat suffer....and I have experienced killing all the above. I laugh at the bravado to think that a small animal is one that you think is NOT worth recognizing and respecting... JMO!

if your talking about chickens death throws with no head is alot diferent to runing away with a busted neck

That is why you use CO2 so that they get a quick hit with no oxygen which knocks them out quickly rather than them dieing slowly.
But Wokka, you cull on a larger scale correct? CO2 administered on a commercial scale is definitely the better option, I agree 100%...but the thread is about Vinegar and Baking Soda on a small hobbyist scale...lol

Dislocating the neck is the best way, but you must learn the correct technique and it has to be done very quickly otherwise the poor thing will suffer. Essentially the spinal cord is separated from the brain which causes massive neurological shock and instant death.

Thankfully I do not have to do this, as I buy my food items already frozen, so when I need them I just thaw them out.

they will drown in the vinegar before the co2 kills them.. i dont think a snake will eat something that smells like vinegar.. this guy has ask this question several times, and he is still asking.. he has been told all the answers but just keeps asking about it.(i think it the same person, this thread has been done many times by the same person).. its not the done thing mate... are you really trying to cull mice this way? or are you fishing for answers on a cheap co2 set up for your hydro set up? either way get a regulater & bottle of co2 it will do both...lol.. you just dont kill rodents this way..
When have I asked this before?
I not stupid, I am not going to have the mice so they are in the actual vinegar.
Why are you telling people not to answer?
And yeah its for a hydro setup:rolleyes:

Last edited:
if your talking about chickens death throws with no head is alot diferent to runing away with a busted neck
Chickens are a different story and thats another totally different topic!!! OMG
LOL...nothing runs around with a broken neck LMAO... Come on Man................. with a total separation as mentioned many posts ago, why argue about it???
Do some research on anatomy and how quadriplegics suffer... They dont get up and run around...
I'm out, have a good night!

I know about other methods, and I am quite aware that doing it incorrectly is a bad way for any animal to go, that is the reason I asked if anyone knew the right way to do it

When have I asked this before?
I not stupid, I am not going to have the mice so they are i the actual vinegar.
Why are you telling people not to answer?
Hi Geckoman,
I think Tony is saying, is when you make the incorrect mix of vinegar to soda, it "boils" up and because of the set-up the bubbles which flow up the pipes, eventually turn to liquid and end up "covering" the poor anmals that are to be euthanized. Mate it hapens and is a S H I T way to cull your rodents. Do you want advice or want to argue?
Cheers....

I want advice, thankyou
yeah I could see that happening, I would test it out before attempting it, what i need to know is how much Id have to mix to produce an adequate amount so I can experiment with the setup before attempting a cull.
The amount of rodents I will be doing does not justify the cost of gas bottle rental or buying a Soda Stream YET
I am happy to break their neck or donk them, I just thought that this way would be more humane for them, I thought if done correctly it was an accepted way to cull, which is why i started the thread, sorry for the misunderstanding

Last edited:
Chickens are a different story and thats another totally different topic!!! OMG
LOL...nothing runs around with a broken neck LMAO... Come on Man................. with a total separation as mentioned many posts ago, why argue about it???
Do some research on anatomy and how quadriplegics suffer... They dont get up and run around...
I'm out, have a good night!

as I said there is alot of room for error if you are inexperienced

not everything runs as smooth as it does in a text book Scott, you should know that if you are the hunter you claim to be!

in the case of the chicken I decribed, if it was dislocated it would have died! but it didnt due to the inexperience of the person carrying out the practise and I had to cull the poor thing!
the reason the person wasnt interested in using a knife to dispatch the thing was because they didnt want to get any blood on them :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back