Cupping Hands for Spotted python Not working.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cris said:
IMO they may become domesticated to some extent many more generations later, some ppl breed animals for their temperment, many geneations of such breeding would produce a animal far less prone to stress and with a higher tolerance of captivity in general IMO, Just like evolution only backwards :?

This is refered to as Genetic Adaptaion to Captivity. It is evolution, but not backwards.

And my 2cents worth, I handle my snakes only when I need to. That's usually only when I'm cleaning the enclosure.

:p

Hix

Im with duga on this one, leave the poor thing alone and buy a dog to play with.
Getting your snake out twice a day to play with it is asking for trouble.

I think just let it settle in for a couple of weeks, without handling (NONE AT ALL!!), in a low traffic area.

A baby snake can be food for a huge array of animals, so it naturally will defend itself against anything and everything!!

haha ok guys. I already have fish and dogs lol. So if i leave the snake alone, will it ever calm down? The snake was born on 6/11/05 and has eaten 11 times, the last 3 feeds have been fuzzie mice, fed him last sunday. he hasnt had a touch on sunlight since i got him, so i am tryin to handle him, to take him out for some sun. I had him out lastnight, and he striked, but didnt bite and then started to calmdown, just started crawlin around my arm, but he still doesnt like my eyes....hahahaha. Being 6 months old already, and i was told children handled him everyday, when i bought him. so i thought he would be half used to it. Thanks for ya suggestions guys. cheers.

I think with patience he will calm down.

You said you only got him on friday right? (the 7th?)

I would've waited a week before feeding it, and then another until I tried to hold it. Like I said before, just let it settle down for a couple of weeks. I know thats hard, I just recently got a bredli hatchie, and I had itchy fingers from day one!

But it is a whole new scary environment for the snake, so let it calm down. Then try every couple of days to hold it, and keep it away from your face!! It will eventually learn you aren't trying to eat it, and hopefully it will settle down.

ok, no worries. Only reason i fed it was, i was told to try and feed him on sunday by the breeder. the record that i got with the snake shows its feeding and shedding dates, it has been fed almost every 7 days, should i keep this cycle going?

Bonustokin said:
haha ok guys. I already have fish and dogs lol. So if i leave the snake alone, will it ever calm down?

No, it won't! Some snakes keep that sort of defensive tempo up all the way through to adulthood :wink: The reason people squeal about Darwin pythons, jungles and similar species snakes being so bitey, unpredictable, temperamental & just plain nasty natured is because they have been left to their own devices. If you want to get it out of the habit of biting you, you will gradually have to work on it and calm its anxiety. Whilst their brains are minute, they do learn after a period of time that you aren't going to cause them harm. Even the bigger grumpier ones come around, but I’d never trust them fully around kids.

This "no handling" idea being thrown in all the time is just an opinion, and if it works for those who believe in it, then good for them, it’s certainly not gospel. Obviously you want a handler and not looking for a breeder anyway (not that I've seen from friends who breed snakes that it makes any 'proven' difference anyway). Give the snake some space, let it settle in, feed it, leave it alone for a week or so, then gradual gentle is the approach.

So did you get the snake Friday and feed it Sunday? Then you were handling it Monday?

If so, that's the beginning of your problem. You shouldn't handle snakes for a few days after feeding.

It's not gospel not to handle, but you see so many questions up about why people's hatchlings aren't feeding, yet they are handling it half and hour or so everyday....it doesn't take too many brains to work out why it's not eating.

Also, nearly all the long time breeders/keepers recommend only handling when necessary with hatchlings...there is definate evidence that overhandling causes stress in young snakes.

I also don't get how people can say their snake is snapping at them when it's out, but say it's not stressed. Wouldn't anyone consider that a sign of stress? It's obviously feeling defensive, especially if it's going at your eyes.

I wouldn't worry at all Bonustokin, even if you never handled it unless cleaning, your snake is almost certainly going to calm down with age. But you do need to give it a good 2 weeks to settle in without touching it..your snake will be all the better for it.

OK thanks. People are saying that i said "the snake isnt stressed", but i didnt, i said "he doesnt seem stressed", coz he was eatin and drinking. Obviously he IS stressed when i try to handle him...... but will there be a time when he wont strike or get angry when i go to pick him up? or does that stay with them for the rest of there life? ok i will wait 2weeks and try from there. thanks everyone.

Im with duga on this one, leave the poor thing alone and buy a dog to play with.

i agree with that statement. atm i handle my bredli maybe 1-2 times a week. this week he took his time digesting and was a complete grump the two times i had to handle him(one was just a normal handling session the other was taking him out so i could clean out his cage), i checked on him yesturday and he had gone to the toilet and was his normal nice self.

i would leave him for a 7-14 days the more the better imo then handle him 1-2 times a week. probably want to take him out with a modified coat hanger hook then place him on your hand instead of using your hand to get him out. also don't handle him for about 3 days after feeding and even then check to see that hes gone to the toilet if he hasn't leave him be.

andrew

Bonustokin said:
OK thanks. People are saying that i said "the snake isnt stressed", but i didnt, i said "he doesnt seem stressed", coz he was eatin and drinking. Obviously he IS stressed when i try to handle him...... but will there be a time when he wont strike or get angry when i go to pick him up? or does that stay with them for the rest of there life? ok i will wait 2weeks and try from there. thanks everyone.

For sure! when he's settled in and realizes he's safe. It's not uncommon for young Antaresia species to be snappy pre 12 months. He's not angry, he's defensive, he's biting because he thinks you are going to hurt him, that's why he's going for your eyes in particular.

Like duga said, we have 40 snakes, they are only handled when their cages need cleaning and there is only a couple that are just snappy snakes. One that is never able to be freehandled (7ft Port Mac intergrade) just thinks everything is food, if he's out he will follow you around the room just to eat you. Another is a male diamond that also has a strong feeding response and likes to give long feeding bites and tries to swallow. And the other is my darling scrub python (7ft male) who I did trust too much last time I had him out. Rather than hooking him, I let him crawl on my arm to get him out, and once out, he decided to bite my hand...I was lucky it WASN'T a feeding bite, because just from one quick nip on the top of my hand, he hit the bone, busted a vein and I wasn't able to use my hand for a couple of days. But that's scrubs for ya! Many of our snakes are snappy in their cage but fine once they are out.

Two of our childreni juvi's who were constant biters when handled are now settled down nicely....they are 12 months old or so. All of our Antaresia species are not snappy at all, they definately calm down with age, I guess they grow bigger and stop feeling so vulnerable.

I think its that you are cupping your hands together to fast, probably scaring the b'jeezuz out of it.

My carpet was the same, give it two weeks to settle in, even then it'll still be jumpy, it took my guy about a month to 6 weeks before he stopped being snappy.

Oh yeah, congrats on your purchase!!

TrueBlue said:
i was onli told this by the breeder and now she has settelled and i have actually never handeled her 2 times a day i just sugested it cause thats what i was told i onli get her out every few days and leave her for 2 or so after feeding !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back