Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench Warmer

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey there,before my cat brought in an adult asian house gecko,and i got it off her and saved it,and decided it like to keep it and see what they are like.. but when i put him in a click clack container,i noticed it has a single tooth penetration on its left side sorta mid region,no blood but i can see a red coloured bit of skin hope its not bad,anything i can do to help it?

Dont ask me i would feed both to my reptiles :lol:

Let it go, you cant keep it. I dont think many vets would bother on an asian house gecko. But if you realy wanted take it to a vet.

water some Betadine down , and apply that to the wound

you will have to watch it and make sure it doesnt get infected.

Then i would skin the cat and make some slippers out of it, and mulch the cat for the garden

Yeah not a fan of cats for that reason

If you live in Qld there are no laws to stop you keeping it unless there are local council laws against it(unlikely).
It is very hard to see when damage has been done internally with reptiles, being realistic i would say it is stuffed.
I think you are best off humanely euthansing the cat(and the gecko).

slayer would ends its life pretty quick, wont know what hit it!
maybe the 80 odd teeth would!

hahahaha,nah sorry its mums cat lol...

well i kept the gecko in the click clack for a while,and checked the wound and you can see it,but it dosent appear to be destressing the gecko/impairing it in anyway,so i let it go,and its moved off when i put it on the fence so im guessing all's good lol,havent seen the cat actually KILL any lizards.. seems to bring them back,and play with them lol,which i QUICKLY put a stop to lol

If i were you i would tell your mum next time her cat attacks a native animal your going to sell it as snake food, or you could just encourage her to be a responsible person and keep the cat away from our native wildlife.

Asian House Gecko's aren't native Cris.

She should be a bit more careful though- that could have been a native species quite easily.

yeah i know,id be ****ed if it was... but you cant do much about it,if it was up to me the cat would get left inside permenantley..but its not my cat,and when theres so many asian house gecko's running around the place,and the cat is walking around outside,you cant be suprised it brings them in.. it dosent know any better,and with lizards and snakes.. its diff from birds and mammals,the reptiles are more prone to be caught and prolly easier for the cat to catch,our cat has caught more mice than anything.

or you could just encourage her to be a responsible person and keep the cat away from our native wildlife.
quoted for emphasis! I think you can buy cats bells for their collars on ebay as well as many petshops. ;)

Our cat has 2 bells (coz she figured she could carry one in her mouth and it would make it quiet) and she still manages to catch geckos and will bring them inside and chase them. Naughty girl! im sure its the same gecko too coz i have caught it 3 times now and the first time it had no tail and then each time the tail has grown back a little more. Released him in a new spot last time.

belling your cat only makes a more efficient killer as the cat compensates for the bell by moving even slower and more calculated.
the only way to protect wildlife/animals from cats is to keep them indoors or in a cat run or in a scrub python
I think the bells thing doesnt work for reptiles coz they dont hear Tatelina... just a thought
lizards hear fine

belling your cat only makes a more efficient killer as the cat compensates for the bell by moving even slower and more calculated.
the only way to protect wildlife/animals from cats is to keep them indoors or in a cat run or in a scrub python

lizards hear fine

That's quite correct, and has been proven in studies. IMO the only pet to stick around a cats neck is a churchbell.

:p

Hix

our cat is kept indoors all the time. The only time she is allowed outside is when we put a harness on her and connect it to a lead about 3 metres long. She can play in that area only for a few hours a day then she is back inside. Even though she has a harness and lead (half chain) and only has that area to play in, she has still caught a sparrow!

The reasons we keep her inside and on a harness outside is because the damage cats do to our wildlife is terrible and the last cat we had was an outside (during the day only) cat and one day he just disappeared (must be other snake keepers nearby! lol) He was de-sexed to (like all our cats) so I guess someone thought they like him more than we did!

Shane

I caught my mum's cat years ago, it was panting and it seemed to have caught a large lizard. when I finally grabbed it I realised that a small sand monitor ( not much bigger then a hatchling) had a firm grip on the cats collar, eyes clenched shut and not a mark on it. It wasn't easy getting him to let go either! I kept him in a click clack for a couple of hours and released him unharmed, the cat could not get fangs into it hanging off his neck and the goanna just held on for grim death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back