Darwin Carpet Python Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Killerbogan

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a darwin carpet python that right now is about 2 years old it would be about a meter to a meter and a half long and im just wondering how much i should be feeding it
at the moment im feeding it two pinky/fuzzy rats per 2 weeks.

The snakes weight will give you the best idea of how much to feed it, or you can just give it something about 1.5 the width of the widest part of it's body. Thats generally a good rule of thumb.

Hey guys i have a darwin carpet python that right now is about 2 years old it would be about a meter to a meter and a half long and im just wondering how much i should be feeding it
at the moment im feeding it two pinky/fuzzy rats per 2 weeks.
I feed my 14 month old diamond one 110gram rat per fortnight. It is about 1100mm and 600grams heavy. I usually feed my snakes about 15-20% of their body weight and hatchlings up to one year once a week, one year to two years fortnightly and then once a month after that.

Mate pinky rat is wat they eat as hatchies (1 per week) so I doubt that is enough.

A lot more than that I'd say. Weigh ur snake and as others have said feed between 10-20 percent body weight. How does its condition appear? Does it look skinny? Is it snappy?

Remember a snake can eat 1.5 times the thickness of the thickest part of their body

I gave my 13.5 month old MD her first large-extra large Rat (210g) the other night. She took it and got it down.
A few days later she started to emerge from her hide and the bulge was gone for the most part.
I feed her every 10 days a meal of around the same size.
She was on medium-large (140-160g) Rats before that and took about 7 weeks to shed (and she bit me for the first time ever) so I decided to up her food size.
She would be around 1.5m at a guess. Maybe a little shorter. Probably as thick as two of my fingers.

My Jungle who is about 1.1m is on the 140-160 Rats every 10 days.
Probably a little thinner than my MD.
Before that it was taking 2 Weaner Rats.

But I'm going to get some fish-hook scales off ebay to weigh them and work out what their proper weight is.

You need to increase the size so the rats you feed have better nutrition for your snake. Going off body size if your snake is undersized
seems a bit weird to me. You could certainly go up 2 sizes from what you are feeding at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back