Darwin hatchling not feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockeh

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me out i have a darwin carpet python hatchling she is about 10weeks old now and i am having real trouble getting her to feed.

I have tried frozen pinkies thawed in hot water and have had her in a small isolation container for about a week now (i have had her for about 6 weeks all up).

On tuesday i put a live pinkie in with her and well... it is still there she seems to show a little interest in it but then pulls back when it moves...

I am afraid that the next step is force feeding but i have never had to do this before so am looking for your opinions and well a little help

Anything you can bring to the table will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Matt

yeah i have but to no avail, just thought she was stubborn to start with but now am starting to get worried have never had to feed live before so that alone is breakin my heart i am a softie but i dont know what else to do she has to eat so i tried the live to see if it would work now i am at my wits end

i bumped the temp a little last night, and will leave the pinkie in tonight hopefully it is gone in the morning this will be the third night it has been in there.... if she doesnt start to eat what next....

ive had plenty of snakes in the past but this is a first for me

What part of Melbourne you in Stocky? Have you tried increasing the temp of the thawed pinky? This has worked for me in the past.

not far away at all i am waving at the moment look to the left i am the third porch light :)

Hey Stockeh,

What temps she on? If the temperature is incorrect she may not eat.

We've had some strange, non-feeders in the past. First thing is to make sure the temperature is correct and the snake is not being stressed out, which may happen if she's being handled too frequently or there are insufficient hiding spots. Also frequent traffic by the enclosure can make them shy and stress them.

If all of the above are as they should be, next thing to look at is her behaviour. Does she appear lethargic, thin on the neck? Is she tenting? Tenting is when you pinch the snakes skin gently and it fails to spring back into place quickly. Tenting occurs if the animal is dehydrated or is of ill health. You may also wish to open the snakes mouth and check that everything looks in order there, as if the snake has mouth rot it will not eat.

If she appears to be in good health, then I advise you to persist in offering live, fresh-killed and thawed small mice / rat pups initially. Hopper mice, when of appropriate size often get the snake going due to their bouncing movements. Also try feeding at night rather than during the day. One method, which many suggest (although has not worked for us) is placing the snake overnight in a very small container where she cannot escape the prey.

If she continues to not feed for a time I would advise you to try scenting the food with other animals such as fish and birds, braining the pinkies, or even washing the pinkies with non-scented soap and rinsing thoroughly. If THAT fails then it's time to try alternate food sources. Some alternates which have worked for us in the past are fish, earthworms (no joke), skinks and finches. The problem with this is at times it can be difficult to wean them off these food sources as they become inappropriate for the size of the animal. We found that once eating these strange foodstuffs, however, that it was not very difficult to get them feeding on mice / rats, by offering no food for a longer period than usual, thus making the snake very hungry indeed, then offering the desired prey (rat/mouse).

Also removing the water dish for a couple of days before offering food sometimes works.

If all of the above fails to get your snake feeding, there's assist feeding (which we've found to work around 20% of the time). To assist-feed, use the pinkie's snout to gently force the snake to open its mouth. Once open, insert the head of the pinkie, then hold your index finger on the dorsal side of the snakes head, thumb below, and hold firmly while gently pulling the pinky back, to hook it on the snakes teeth. Note that both assist and force feeding is highly stressful to the animal and as such are the last options.

Failing assist-feeding the last resort is force-feeding.

Fuscus apparently she hadnt eaten yet when i got her.

Varanus the tank is at about 29.8 hot end and 25 cold end i have her in an isolation tank at the moment so that she can not get away from the prey

I just had a look and she is hanging down within an inch of the pinkie at the moment..... hopefully it is gone by the morning im prayin

i have her in a container about 20x20x20cm (plastic kids fish tanks you know the ones) and in the tank i have a stick suspended half way up so that she can climb on it and avoid any injury that is where she is looking at the pinkie from she just isnt taking it

usually about 31 but because of the isolation container she doesnt have the ability to move around to regulate so i have it stabilised at 29.8 so she doesnt cook

Fuscus said:
Good post varanus.
But if you are gong to use "a very small container where she cannot escape the prey" then make sure the prey item cannot harm the snake.

Very good point, Fuscus. Not a worry with pinkies, but if offering anything live never leave them both unattended.

32 also sounds good, maybe that's all she needs.

Another little tip. When offering food, if the snake shows any initial interest quickly pull the food away, wait a couple of secs then offer it again. I find I get my snakes eating a lot easier this way.
My theory is by teaching them that you will take the food away if they don't strike, they soon learn to strike when the food is there.
I hope this helps.

Have you tried braining a pinkie? a hole in its head and a bit of brain/blood may temp it.

nothing has worked up till now wattso so i will give it a shot tonight thanks for the tip and thanks to everyone else who has posted if this doesnt work i guess it is time to learn to force feed so any tips on that would be greatly appreciated just in case

Thanks again
matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back