Darwin or coastal

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madders

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a female python sold to me as a Darwin but she has patterning which looks rather coastal like. Could someone please explain in laymans terms the scale difference? Her head is the same shape as my Darwin males but is that enough to go on? I believe she is a Darwin but would like to be able to say so with more certainty. Cheers

A photo would help immensely. Otherwise it would be much easier for you to Google the two to get an idea of the differences in patterning

ha8u9eju.jpg

this is the best pic I could get on my phone that shows the pattern on her head
a6yte9e6.jpg

you can see why everyone thinks coastal lol

I agree that it doesn't look like a typical Darwin Carpet Python.
There are no scale differences that I know of that distinguishes between the various Morelia spilota.
Did you see pics of the parents?

Doesn't look anything like a Darwin to me, the patterns aren't even close to a darwin.

No there were no pics of parents, surely there must be some difference otherwise they would be categorised as the same type? I know she looks nothing like a Darwin, but if I compare her head shape to that of my male it's the same size and shape and he is undoubtably Darwin. Hence the question of scale difference. Cheers

i would have to say coastal aswell darwins my darwins look nothing like that.

could be a coastal cross
beautiful snake though

No there were no pics of parents, surely there must be some difference otherwise they would be categorised as the same type? I know she looks nothing like a Darwin, but if I compare her head shape to that of my male it's the same size and shape and he is undoubtably Darwin. Hence the question of scale difference. Cheers

Head shape has nothing to do with it, all morelia have the same head shape, same as scales; there is no difference.
The only thing really that seperates all Morelia species is their endemic locations...

Looks like a Coastal to me. Their patterns and colours vary immensely so you can't really go by comparing it to anyone elses - but it does have the Coastal look about it, definitely not a Darwin.

As Ramsayi said, is it on license? What is it written down as?

Madders. There is no difference in the scalation (count wise) They are both Morelia spilota.....just subspecies of the same (at the moment ha ha ha). The variations are geographical, and with a captive animal with a "muddy" provenance, you can't be sure what it is. As others have asked...."Is it on license and what is it described as?" So otherwise you would have to go by pattern and colour.and to me, as with the other learned gents and ladies on here, it looks like a normal coastal (mcdowelli).

As Ramsayi said, is it on license? What is it written down as?

It wont be on license as both Darwins and Coastals are illegal to keep in WA. Its probably just taken from the wild as Darwins occur locally around Kununurra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back