Darwin or not Darwin ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squamate

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello.
This Morelia was sold to me as a Morelia spilota harrisoni but when I saw the pictures of your Darwin Morelia and I'm not sure whether it's a Morelia spilota harrisoni.
In France the Morelia spilota harrisoni is a new subspecies described by Hoser. This is just the Morelia variegata spilota harrisoni Irian Jaya was renamed. You don't use this name in Australia ?
What do you think ? It's just for my own interest.

190859P1170035.jpg

It's European...... Take a chance at lucky dip...

They are both really similar in looks, the only way to know for sure imo is to know their background (unless they have different scale counts or something?)

Not sure how many on here would know the Harrisoni. It's not described as being in Aus, so theoretically it "doesn't" exist here.

Not sure how many on here would know the Harrisoni. It's not described as being in Aus, so theoretically it "doesn't" exist here.

You are forgetting we have a healthy populations of native "internet experts" who if asked will know everything about them.

Your animal is an IJ.

If it was a darwin....being where you lived, you would have paid the price and you would know what you have.

Cheers,
D

In other words where you live.....IJ's are a dime a dozen.....Darwins are over 1000

What you paid will tell you what you have.

D

Thanks for your answers.
Yes in France nobody has Darwin.
I asked this questions because nobodys have an IJ with so much orange, in France the IJ are brown.
An IJ in France:
a1326277321.jpg

It's true that for the price it's an IJ and not a Darwin.
You have a topic with pictures of Darwin ?

I think you have a really nice pair of IJ's, dont let the colour variance fool you, all Morelia species/subs vary heaps in colour and pattern.

Last edited:
in France the IJ are brown.
An IJ in France:
a1326277321.jpg

IJs are a variable group of animals.
My male was almost entirely black but, he would throw light animals like these below...

I don't have a current picture of these animals (as they reside in another persons collection) but, they have all grown up to become very vibrant yellow animals.
I've produced 100's of them over the years and, an animal like yours isn't all that uncommon in a "normal" clutch of animals. Just depends on the genetics you have within the said animal and looks like you'll have the genes to produce some very nice ones with him.

There are a few keepers with Darwins in France. Maybe jump on some other forums and try to track them down.

Cheers,
D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back