debate about smacking children

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes could have re-worded it better but i meant the new low thing when people were reffering to the problem with younger people is that they were not hit enough.

this is obviously an issue that will never be fully agreed on ...so in regards to your qusetions about to smack or not to smack ..you have gotten plenty of debated comments ...hope this helps you ...maybe you should just print this thread out 9 pages ..and show your teacher ;)

haha! this is so long, i was reading it during school. hahaa. debate is on monday and im kinda exciteed :D does anyone else debate?

just to let everyone know (sorry its a bit late) but we won our debate :D thanks to everyne

That's the problem with society today..."don't smack that's abuse"...BS, as long as (some already have said in this thread)...you don't smack in anger, but after multiple warnings and IF a child does something they have been told not to do previously and is antisocial or dangerous to others or themselves. A smack never hurt me or my siblings long term, I came from a large family and ALL us kids got smacked when continually naughty and we all grew up holding great jobs, having wives/husbands and respecting Society and its rules.
A funny story, Mum tried to hit me and my younger Brother with a wooden spoon on a couple of occasions when we were teenagers and because of the air gap with the concave shape of the spoon, it doesn't hurt and she broke a few wooden spoons in the process....we all had a laugh when Mum tried to be tough, which broke the ice and she never did it again.....:lol::lol: She was smart and this strategy only cost her money replacing wooden spoons!

Last edited:
When l was at school they had the strap and some teachers used wooden 1 metre rulers on us . Didnt stop us from playing up , just taught us how to take the pain without showing emotion in front of the other kids . l rarely touched my kids , just a vague threat and a growl would work when little , now they actualy listen to reason .

I have a novel idea. Instead of smacking a child because they did wrong why not teach them the right way and explain what they did wrong and how to fix it.
I don't smack my children 5 and 2 and I never will. I personally couldn't think of anything worse that my protectors hitting me and the amount of trust I would lose towards the smacker.
Both my children are very well behaved.

People in life piss me off to no end but I don't resort to "smacking" to get my point across, set boundaries, instill values and good communication and your child will be an angel

It seems good enough to smack a snake with a shovel, why not a child?

Seriously, it taught me right from wrong & I doubt anything else was going to.
I don't see that there is a problem with it as long as it as used as dicipline.

personaly i strongly belive there is a big difference between child abuse and a tap on the hand as they reach for a boiling pot of water say ...... My children are taught respect and to always show manners to the point its not the norm anymore i get comments from people in shops and so on about how well mannered mychildren are ..... when they were little they did get a tap on the hand if needed again there is a HUGE difference between teaching right from wrong and child abuse .....
People wonder why children today show no one any respect .... i think this is the answer right here ..... very few people teaching their children right from wrong .......

personaly i strongly belive there is a big difference between child abuse and a tap on the hand as they reach for a boiling pot of water say ...... My children are taught respect and to always show manners to the point its not the norm anymore i get comments from people in shops and so on about how well mannered mychildren are ..... when they were little they did get a tap on the hand if needed again there is a HUGE difference between teaching right from wrong and child abuse .....
People wonder why children today show no one any respect .... i think this is the answer right here ..... very few people teaching their children right from wrong .......
So people should smack their children to teach respect?:rolleyes: I think that is teaching them the exact opposite

So people should smack their children to teach respect?:rolleyes: I think that is teaching them the exact opposite

Maybe read the post before going off in a rant.

Taught respect & smacked when reaching for a pot of hot water are to completely different things, unless you think Frogs is teaching respect for a pot of hot water.

At school, we had a primary teacher (back in the early 60's), who would, as with every teacher at the time, have everyone line up with their work to get it marked as we finished it. Maths was always dreaded, cause as we lined up, the teacher would mark our work, and for every one we got wrong, we would get a slap across the legs for it, then she's continue to mark till the next wrong one, and the routine continued.............. sounds barbaric, but I tell you what, we soon learned to be careful and precise with our work, AND to double check it before going up to her!!!!!!! LOL NEVER did us any harm, other than a sting for aminute or two.

AND......... IGotFrogs, I totally agree with you there! It's the manneers (please and thank you), and knowing right from wrong that is soooo lacking these days!
The headmistress would wear a tweed skirt suit type of thing, she had grey curly hair, and a little turned up nose. If you were sent to her office for the cane, she would stand in front of you, wielding the cane in the air, and declare "Now, this is going to hurt me far more than it is you"> It probably did, but we were never convinced of that!! LOL
The benefit of all that was that we grew up with a healthy respect for our elders, and we never gave any adults cheek or attitude, nor did we go around damaging others property like kids do these days!
My mother used to use a wooden spoon to thwack the tops of our legs which stung like billyo, but never injured us, it make us a heck of alot more determined to behave or at least, not get caught again!! LOL

Maybe read the post before going off in a rant.

Taught respect & smacked when reaching for a pot of hot water are to completely different things, unless you think Frogs is teaching respect for a pot of hot water.

Perhaps your the one that needs to re-read the post?:rolleyes:

TOTALLY agree, it's the simple things, the little things that aren't taught these days, manners, Please and Thank you, and respect is sadly lacking these days!

cool, teach 'em to deal with conflict through hitting!

honestly, no offence to anyone who does, but I was never smacked, and I won't do it when I have kids.

i wouldn't call it smacking, i'd say applying pressure to ones bum or hand hahah..

When i have kids ( long time away ) i'd probably try and sit the kid down and tell them in a strong firm voice tell them no and maybe a little time out depending on what it is... Alot can be done with just the tone of your voice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back