debate about smacking children

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I much prefer to sit a misbehaving child down and have a deep and meaningful conversation with them about why they should be good.Works everytime :rolleyes:

Perhaps your the one that needs to re-read the post?:rolleyes:

Nah i think you read my post wrong .... my point is very few people teach their children manners anymore ....
kids are let behave in a manner i wouldnt accept from my dog let alone my children!....

Last edited:
have a look on the child and youth website, search smacking and discipline. smaking doesnt work, im 100% against it, i have a almost 2 year old son and my partner and his parents and even a friend of mine smack him. i hate it, have mentioned it, but no one listens to me im just the stupid mother, go figure.

anyway, i think its 100% up to each parent, if the parents dont smack, no one else should smack the child, ever. if they choose to smack, they should be the only ones to do it, as its the parents/guardians job to enforce discipline.

but yeah, i dont think it works and dont smack my child. it teaches them to fear their parents when they should love them. you praise the good behavior and give little to no attention to the bad behavior.

i think parents who smack their children simply do it because they are too lazy to put the time into the child to correct the behavior, and smacking is a temporary solution to a long term problem...

also it teaches them to smack when they are angry or frustrated, which isnt a good thing. you cant tell a child not to smack another child when its ok for their parent to smack them. it sends a mixed message and is confusing to the child.

my 2 cents.

Last edited:
hi guys n gals....phew been a few heated comments about this subject lol

ok,well i have smacked my kids....i used the count method 1...2...3.... still doin wrong after 3 they got a wallop on the butt...... we only did this because we tried all other ways 1st.....took us 4 yrs before laying on of the hand to behind..... kids are now 15,12 and 9.......i still count,tho now i only need to get to 2,and behaviour stops.
also taught them their manners,get complimented on them when they are out and about.
Now,we take things off them when they want to play up or backchat(15 yr old has lost his DS,MP3 and laptop) got the 1st 2 back,has said he dont care if he dont get his laptop back or not(has been 6 mths now) he's pretty indifferent to it actually.......think i'll give it to the 12yr old.
so yes,only smack as last resort if nothing else works.....those that don't....more power to you

now,
my stepson who is 15 as well..... living with his father and spouse in Qld last yr,did somthing wrong(riding his pushie with no hands) rode into a parked car,owned up to dad about doing it,got punished as deserved.....was grounded,and,kept to his room for 1 mth.......THAT 1 mth,turned into 6 mths.....he was only allowed out,to go to school,do his chores,and toilet and shower

to me,a smack on the tush or hand....much preferable than that sort of abuse

yes i was belted as a kid......hand,tree branch(thatr we had to cut ourselves),jug cord,feather duster.....by parents and grand parents

1 more thing before i go.... only parents/guardians should be able to punish is crap......i have always said to other parentswhen my kids go to their house.... if he/she plays up,they have my permission to discipline them if they play up(only 1 smack on hand or behind) if that dont work then ring me and i'll come back and deal with the problem......never had to go back....... the kids were sat down and spoken to and explained that while they were in someone elses home,they were under the rules that that home went by,they understood that,so all was good....often told, they could go back any time and play.

other parents knew that i expected the same to happen at my home,they agreed...... if they didnt like it,then those kids were never allowed to come over

ok that all i got.......... flame away

To many pages to read but i will add my 2cents.

Firestly antaresia you must be from like the sticks in melb. If you were from melb city or suburbs you would not be saying that lol. So many people need a good clip behind the ear.
Anyone will tell you that, especially me with my line of work. Either that (no offence) or you a spoilet wesley college rich kid.

honestly, no offence to anyone who does, but I was never smacked, and I won't do it when I have kids.

The problem with so many youth is disipline. Be it smacking, education or respect. Every parent (and i beleive only parents can truely understand) has the right to smack their child or raise them how they see fit without other (non parent) do-gooders telling them how they best be doing this.

Like smokeing smacking is a personal choice and should be just that.

People smack because it is easier than actually spending the time to treat your child like a human. Respect me or you will get a flogging:rolleyes:
It's disgusting to see parent's out at shopping centers who smack their kids and then shove their fingers in their little faces and proceed to yell at them.

It's illegal for an adult to touch another adult but seems fine when it's an adult doing it to a child. No matter how hard or soft you do it, it's still assault!
Nothing like taking your own problems out an a defenseless child :rolleyes:

You would all be up in arms if a person was to smack a dog to teach it but have no qualms about doing it to your own children...pathetic

Actually legs it isnt assault. It is under the crimes act however i forget what act (i do have my notes in my room somewhere) but to sum it up its a point in defencences to assault, which also covers the likes of concent (ie sports, not "go on hit me") and use of reasonable force in enforcing the law (police, security, transit sec). I beleive their is 5-10 defences, smacking your child been one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back