desert sand substrate for carpet python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leighroyaus

Reaction score
trying to deck my cage out before the python comes... any ideas on what i can put in there?
so far i have jus ta waterbowl and a hide rock...

would this substrate be fine?

http://www.animalattraction.com.au/...d251a142561b6397&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=29

its desert sand substrate... would it be ok? going for a desert sort of look to start with... or maybe even a jungel look? anyone got any pictures of your setups!
thank you!

I've heard of sand being drawn back into the animals vent when it defecates, but I know of someone who keeps maccies on the stuff and they are fine.

Probably the same, but it's expensive and you can't clean it, use newspaper or even that Ultimate Bush Flooring they have, remember, Carpets don't live on red desert sand ;)

yeah, its only $20 for 20kg thats not expensive! yeah, but i want something natural lookin :( not much other alternatives?

There's not much other alternatves cos they all suck. How old is the snake you are getting? If it is a hatchie you can't go past paper towels (good quality i.e. Handee Ultra). It is perfect. One of the main problems with using substrates such as sand and bark is it means you are far less likey to clean the cage properly and as frequently as you should. There's plenty more i can say on the subject but it's all been said before. Paper towels or newspaper, can't go wrong.

Leighr33...Not saying it is the best stuff or the right stuff to use...But I use the fake grass for my tow Coastals...... Personal choice really...

hi,
if you really want to try sand, then do it, but always remember that what looks good for us isn't always the best for our reptiles, i'd love to have something setup like you want, but in the end i've gone for the most used and safest option, newspaper, you could always dress up the cage using lots of little hides and things to climb, i find this covers a lot of the paper up, but thats just my opinion,

cheers,
steve.......

yeah, ill be doing a few hides and things to climb also :) want it to look awesome, but also be good for the snake

Alot of guys up my way in the NT go for the breeders choice (recycled paper pellets), they do look kind of alright but if you have alot of snakes can become expansive. It comes down to personal choice but you've always got to remmber the needs and health of your reptiles should come first.
I personally use different substrate for different species. My diamonds and carpets are on newpaper which i can't fault and for ease of cleaning it can't be beat. For my trio of childrens i use aquarium gravel 3mm i think and it works a treat because their waste isn't as much as for a larger pythons and you can run heat cord or heating mats in it too. All my hatchlings and Blackheads when i had them are with the recycled paper.
It all comes down to what you find works for your needs hopefully the guys will give you some idea's that work and you just go from there.
Good luck.

I would like to hear what others have to say but I think that most people getting their first snake want a very natural looking substrate. And if you are a pet owner as opposed to a breeder then this is perfectly understandable. You want your enclosure to look like something in a zoo. I certainly did this and graduated to newspaper after a few years of endless work trying to keep my animals healthy and clean. If you don't mind the work then go for it. But you can set a cage for carpets up so that the focus is above the floor and your newspaper won't matter too much. There was also a recent scary tale on here about astro turf. I used it for 2 years and nothing died but that was in contrast to another story here.

Just my 2 cents worth.

yeah word peter, btw love your outdoor enclosure.

ill give the sand a try to start with see how it goes... ill get some pics up in a couple of days :) gota go find some nice bits of wood

You might find that sand will get caught in the snakes heat sensing pits, vent, mouth, eyes and anywhere else it shouldnt be. I would be inclined to use a more "snake friendly" substrate if I was you.

whats a more snake friendly substrate then? that looks natural..

Wood chips, wood mulch,
(just make sure it hasn't been treated with chemicals)
Bush flooring is animal friendly & quite appealling.
You could also use marine carpet, astro turf or medium grade gravel.

I would try any of the above but avoid minute particles such as sand for stated reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back