Diamond color range

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my female is also the golden to lime green but my male is white ,im waiting for the end of the year to see what i get from the two.

Diamond Colour Range

I was just picking through old material & saw this interesting thread on Diamond Python colouration and it's relationship to locality.

Has anyone noticed if you get a particular tendency in some areas towards certain colours &/or patterns? :?:

Also, does anyone know anything about "green" Diamond Pythons or have any pics of any specimens?
I've never seen a green-coloured specimen!:shock:
Has anyone here seen one?

They sound interesting!
Love to see one.

zen

earthmother said:
We've seen whites and yellows in the wild in this North coast Area.
MM

Mudmum!!! Great to see you back again! :)

two things, I agree with Bob as I have animals from the same clutch that are totally different,
I have a B&W bought as an adult 4 years ago from Wollongong that is now hard to distinguish from Sydney ones.
Second things is, nice to see you EM.

What about the All Black Slug Monsters.
Anyone got pics of them or know who has them.

Adam said:
Anybody got any pics of these green and golds?? I haven't even seen one but me thinks me wants one!!

Hi Adam,

Here's a photo of a couple of ours! We love 'em.

Expansa1

Green Diamond Pythons

Wow! They are wicked!

Great photos of awesome looking snakes.

So that's a Green Diamond Python!. What superb colour they have.
I can see a distinctly green hue, especially in the second image.
The diamonds on the lower flanks have a lovely aqua colouration.
What's the geographic region of their bloodline?

They're very nice specimens indeed. 8)

I've noticed that many Diamonds Pythons have differently coloured lateral diamonds
compared to their dorsal diamonds. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks for putting up the excellent pics.
Well illustrated!

zen

Green Diamond Pythons

zen said:
Wow! They are wicked!

Great photos of awesome looking snakes.

So that's a Green Diamond Python!. What superb colour they have.
I can see a distinctly green hue, especially in the second image.
The diamonds on the lower flanks have a lovely aqua colouration.
What's the geographic region of their bloodline?

They're very nice specimens indeed. 8)

I've noticed that many Diamonds Pythons have differently coloured lateral diamonds
compared to their dorsal diamonds. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks for putting up the excellent pics.
Well illustrated!

zen

Hi Zen,
This bloodline originated from around Galston, North Sydney.

Expansa1

Expansa1 are they the same line you've always had that won best Diamonds at thre Sydney Reptile Show?

Nice photo's expansa1. I've got a trio with my female being the most outstanding of the three, i'll have to post a pice of her. My two males are really diferent to her, 1 being a plain jane standard diamond and my younger male a really lighter coloured one. Would be interested to see the white diamonds if anyone has any photo to compare?

Thanks Expansa

Thanks very much for answering my question re: bloodline expansa.

The Sydney region has some absolutely gorgeous specimens.
It's a good thing that Sydney bloodlines are preserved in collections such as your own.
Sydney populations of Diamond Python are becoming increasingly threatened due to development and urban sprawl pushing further & further into natural bushland. I've heard that local populations are becoming locally endangered with sightings now quite rare.

It'd be a shame to lose such superb bloodlines as this. I wish you every success in breeding your supremely beautiful animals.
I don't think I've ever seen Diamonds as good looking as your specimens. It doesn't get any better than this!.
It doesn't surprise me that you've won the 'Best Diamond Python' award so many times at the Sydney Reptile Show.
Well deserved.

Please let us know when your ready to sell your next clutch.

Thanks again for the great pics & info.

zen

BROWNS said:
Expansa1 are they the same line you've always had that won best Diamonds at thre Sydney Reptile Show?

Hi Browns,
Yes it is the same line as one of my males that won best Diamond but it was at the South Coast Herp soc. show judged by reptile vet Mike Cannon among others.

Regards,

Expansa1
Ps A Diamond I sold to a good friend of mine "D.C" came second.

333632.jpg

Here a head shot of my girl i mentioned earlier.

Black Diamond

Tourett said:-
What about the All Black Slug Monsters.
Anyone got pics of them or know who has them.

Here's a photo of a predominantly black specimen:-

97659South_Coast_(Nowra)_-_Black_female_-_reduced_for_web.jpg

I was told that this big female was originally from the Nowra area, on the South Coast of N.S.W.

Tourett, if you want to know who has the mostly black specimens, then PM me.

zen

I think you will find that the green in pure diamonds is an optical illusion,with the high and mainly yellow diamonds from a distance they look greenish but if you get close enough its just the yellow fuseing with the black to create a sort of aura around the animal.
Nice diamonds expanse,- they would have to be the best looking diamonds Ive seen next to Clayton Knights.
The highest yellow diamonds that Ive seen were actually from just over the boarder in victoria, not the best patterned but very intense yellow.

Diamond Colour Range

In my opinion there seems to be a tendency towards more black & white specimens in southern populations.
For example, the Illawarra's tend to be more B&W than the Gosford & Sydney specs.
Also, in the Blue Mountains I've seen some quite predominantly black with small white diamonds & spots higher up around Bullaburra to Katoomba area. Which is the western limit of their range around Sydney.
Lower down the mountains, around Springwood they tend to be yellower.
However, I've noticed that specimens on the southern side of the tracks(rail) tend to be darker.
Note: This is a small sample size, being essentially my personal observations & local reports.

:idea: My theory is that this pattern indicates a tendency towards darker specimens in colder areas.

However, there appears to be a wide colour range within every population of Diamond Pythons.
Charles Darwin would have loved Diamonds.

Rock,

That's fascinating! A high yellow one near the Victorian border.
That blows my theory out of the water! :oops:

I'd better qualify my theory by saying there's always exceptions to the rule. :wink:

zen

re Diamonds

The black diamonds are on average more common as you head south zen with clutches of wild ones containing normal appearance juveiles and they would have several fathers,and occasional clutch from a normal wild mother has nicer juvs.Those that are very yellow are found around wollongong and further south but are much much less common than areas like wisemans ferry and gosford districts in comparison.The pics of expansaa are yellow types not greenish,the greenish types are not that common and the few that ive found have been dull olive green,the most greenish one i saw was for sale at petersham petshop about 1970.The owner of that shop was from appin and used to sell reptiles at paddys market,he was a good bushman and i believe most animals was sourced from down south. cheers colin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back