DIAMOND MOVING FNQ

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shellshock

Reaction score
I have 2 1/2yr old male diamond i m from S/W Sydney i m moving to Cairns i was wondering what the heat and humidity will do to my snake
i have heard diamonds like it relatively cool. [/img]

You would probably need to keep your enclosure in a room thats air conditioned or at least has a room temp thats about 25 degrees or under. Keeping it outside could cause problems like blister disease from humidity.

can someone help me i havent had any advice yet if my snake is going to be affected is there things i can do to keep the humidity out and also is there any devices any one knows of to keep the temp down. I am hopeing he will be fine because i have been looking seriously at aquireing an adult female

serpenttongue said:
I always assumed people ignored my posts. Now i know for sure! :lol:

:lol:

I get the same feeling at times :lol:

sorry fellas thank u very much for your advice i was just have a look at something else that is what i figured this is what i might have to do

looks like i wil probably keeping him in the lounge room then.

i am moveing up dec jan i just got to put air conditionig on the top of the priorities not like it wouldnt be in cairns anyway

also what type companies deal with freight can u check them as normal pet luggage when u fly

Australian Air Express with deliver you Diamond general about $50.00 from Sydney to Cairns.

Cairns currently at 100% humidity - and I am dieing....lol

ari said:
Australian Air Express with deliver you Diamond general about $50.00 from Sydney to Cairns.

I think the rate is different if they go as unaccompanied luggage. From memory it is significantly cheaper. The check in process is exactly the same though through the AAE office.

I moved from Brisbane to the NT 2 years ago and my trio of diamonds are doing fine in the heat which is similar to FNQ. But up in the tropics it's a must to keep them in an A/C room. The maxium temp i've had my bank cage get to has been 31' during the build up which is probably the hottest and humid time of the year as you'd know. Though they do love the dry when they can get chill at night. Only trouble in the tropics is trying to cool them for breeding, which is almost impossible without a massive power bill and A/C at 20' constantly. Good luck and just keep an eye on him, he'll be fine.

thank u very much everyone i would appreciate as much advice as i can get.
will get any dramas with any other herps or will the same rules reply e.g.murrey darling carpets

i want to build as much to my collection as i can my wife has got this snake on her licence. it was the only way i thought i could get thiis kind of pet bit after i did this i thought i would have perrmission 2 get one but 12 mnths later i m still being told we dont have the $ which is bullcrap i just have 2 do the same thing i did with hers ''just buy it & bring it home

I have the same problem with the minister of war & finnance. I had 5 b4 we hooked up, she set the limit at 8, i currently have 9. A rule i live and die by is : It's better to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission, (in regards to my reptiles) this has worked fine so far depending on your crime. One thing she hasn't cued onto is when they breed their will be more the 9. Can't wait......

yommy said:
It's better to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission

Can I use that yommy.

My limit was set at 6 and now I have 16. :lol:

thank u i appreciate the thing about the breeding especially considering im in the market 4 a female
this is food for thought thow because i have herd diamonds when they get to breeding age can die from something dubbed "DIAMOND SYNDROM" apaarently they need to be hyberated for breeding but also for there wellbeing something to do with there hormones i cant remember if this only affects males this may sound strange to some people
i came up with this from "REPTILES AUSTRALIA" magazine in an article "till death do us part" and the auther spoke of it happening to him

Hey shellshock, I am certainly not having a go at you here. Its just that you are moving into reptile heaven and now you need air conditioning to keep your diamonds. I am in sydney and I have to keep all the good stuff indoors (except my diamonds hehehe) and pay heaps to warm them up. Now you have to cool yours down. Why not look into some really cool stuff that can be kept outdoors - Jungle Carpets, frillies, GTP's etc.

But also on that. How come it is that the diamonds are merely a different colour of morelia spilotis that I am certain are found in FNQ. why can they handle it but diamonds can't? Just seems weird really.

You have to remember that when you say FNQ that there is distinctively 2 climates - Cairns & coastal regions which are very hot & humid. And yet within a 1 -2 hour drive you are in more of a hot & dry region (e.g. Mareeba & inland from the Tablelands) So yes some of these species do come from FNQ but it depends on the region & how that climate varies.

Another example is with plants - certain species grow & flower readily on the Tablelands, and yet in Cairns they never flower and end up dieing. You need to find some way of compensating - with Reptiles it seems to come down to air conditioning.

Cheers

yes it is rep heaven except for a couple of things any herps i buy will more likely have to be freighted in which means i will always be relying on photos. but like the discusssion is about i am only concerend with my diamond and other cold climate snakes i am buying a murrey darling tomorow but i guess it is going to come down to a/c but my guess being sydneysider moveing to cairns there shouldnt be a problem we cant live without here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back