Diffebetween an Eastern water dragon and a Gippsland water dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaZeDragoN

Reaction score
Hey can anyone tell me the difference beween an eastern WD and a Gippsland WD?? I apologise if this is a really stupid question:?

its not a stupid question!
its only a stupid question if u didnt ask it...
anywayz, the eastern as far as i know, has more yellow around their faces, and i think the eastern may get a bit bigger, but i could of just made that up... lol

No, not a silly question at all. These two are basically the same species just like Coastal Carpets are the same species as Darwin Carpets. They are merely classified as different sub species due to colouration. Gippies are a bluer colour and much prettier IMO. They are also found south of the standard Eastern Water Dragon (from about Nowra south). So, DNA is basically the same but we call them different because of colour.

Unfortunately however, due to the large number of both of these sub species being kept in collections you need to be careful what you are buying. Lots of inexperienced keepers will not know which one they have and I am certain that I have seen hybrids running around as pure species of both types. After all, they are easier to breed than rabbits.

Ahhhh ok thanks alot fellas.. it's just that i'm considering getting one and was just doing general image searches and thought i was looking at the same dragon.. speaking of inexperienced hahaha

easterns have a black stripe going up to their eye and GWD's dont.

Ahhhh ok thanks alot fellas.. it's just that i'm considering getting one and was just doing general image searches and thought i was looking at the same dragon.. speaking of inexperienced hahaha

lol... theres also beardies aswell...
they are alot more interactive than water dragons...
but its totally up to u!
both are really cheap

Thats the thing I have a Beardie and I think its great.. I guess i wanna just expand

I've also had a Shingleback and a Central Netted.. I loved the shingle but he died and I was't a really big fan of the Netted.. Do you guys have any suggestions??
I think im more into the more robust species

Correct answer. :) The Eastern has an unbroken stripe from ear to eye, the Gippy has the same stripe, not complete to the eye and not as strong in color.

Thanks alot.. is anyone aware of behavioural differences?? or are they much of a muchness

I have four, two EWD's and 2 GWD. Only one had to be seperated due to the fighting, and that was the once dominate EWD. (he got moved as he was constantly causing trouble and then got ganged up on!!) Otherwise the only difference I have noticed is the EWD in the community tends to hide more, while the GWD's like to sit out in the open and bask all day. They play well together, don't argue over food and spend time laying on each other from time to time when basking. They even dig the same bloody hole in the same spot all the time. :lol:

I've also had a Shingleback and a Central Netted.. I loved the shingle but he died and I was't a really big fan of the Netted.. Do you guys have any suggestions??
I think im more into the more robust species

what about something a bit more upmarket like an ackie or gillens...
theyre small, robust, great fun!
they cost a bit more, a little bit harder to look after, but theyre so much cooler in my opinion...

The only differance i noticed is my GWD stayed out all winter when easterns hibernated(they probably think its summer up here or something). Both species can handle the cold fairly well, itss just the GWDs are obviously going to be better adapted to the cold.

IMO both can be equally stunning and brightly coloured. EWDs also get noticably bigger.

Is $175 for a yearling EWD too much??
And what size would you say that is?

what about something a bit more upmarket like an ackie or gillens...
theyre small, robust, great fun!
they cost a bit more, a little bit harder to look after, but theyre so much cooler in my opinion...

What exactly is ackie or a gillens??

gippy

this is my gippy,, i think his a pure breed, but some people think he might be croos breed..

scar.. 027.jpg

scar.. 015.jpg

pllz tell me what u think

does seem to be a cross,still a nice watery though,heres some of mine out today and the gippys hiding today as well,cant really see there coloring as there outside and im in melb so is still a wee nippy here,didnt make 15 today.first pic is the blue phased gippys hiding,the rest are 2 of my easterns,3rd female is still hibernating,and a pic of some of last seasons juvies

Attachments

• P8140457 (Small).JPG
    P8140457 (Small).JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 154
  • P8140463 (Small).JPG
    P8140463 (Small).JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 132
  • P8140465 (Small).JPG
    P8140465 (Small).JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 127
  • P8140424 (Small).JPG
    P8140424 (Small).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 119
  • P8140427 (Small).JPG
    P8140427 (Small).JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 108
can i c apic of ur enclosure, coz i wanna move myn at side but i dont no how to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back