different species monitors together ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjb.2010

Not so new Member
Reaction score
what are peoples opinions on putting a yellow spotted monitor juvy, with a bells phase lacie juvy, they are both roughly the same size. is it a recipe for disaster? i only need them in the same enclosure together for a couple of weeks.

I saw a similar thread about smaller monitors Scalaris and Orientalis the other day which intrigued me, I then asked Cliff on the goldcoast who breed several monitors and he said it was a big no no.

His exact words where "two different species, why would you risk it". Aggression towards each other and the chance of cross breeding were the two big factors that stuck it out of my mind.

yeah i was worried about the cross breeding but they are both under a month old.

You should not be buying animals if you don't have the means to house them......

I went to and old thread to get these pics so just copied what i typed as well. It requires good judgement, dont blame me if you end up with only one fat goanna or a goanna in more pieces than it should be.

You can mix all sorts of herps, but its not a good idea if you arnt familiar with the animals before mixing them. With many lizards you have to be very careful mixing them even with their own species, however if they dont have any reason to bother each other they probably will be fine together.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

i have kept v,gillens and v,tristis tristis together for a couple of years when i was younger and had no issue between them but they where in a very large indoor cage 6x 2.5 x2.5 full of tree branches and plenty of food... but this is only my exp and im not telling you to do it just what worked for me years ago.... i have done very well mixing herps and do keep a close eye on body language

It is impossible to keep an eye on them 24/7.

Why would anyone risk it??

i remember a thread where someone said they kept perenti and sandies together...
the perentie would snack on the sandies...
but there is a sizeable difference between them..

i don't see how keeping those 2 young ones together would be any more risk than keeping clutchmates together.
but it's your call at the end of the day..

jeremy, i have the housing facilities for them its was just a question. one thing that i hate and im sure others will agree with me is when people like you jeremy, do not have anything good to say they just wanna pull you down because your behind a computer. thank you for the people who helped me with my question. i will not be doing it just to let you guys know. cheers

jeremy, i have the housing facilities for them its was just a question. one thing that i hate and im sure others will agree with me is when people like you jeremy, do not have anything good to say they just wanna pull you down because your behind a computer.

i only need them in the same enclosure together for a couple of weeks.

What does this mean then? I'm not putting you down I am stating my oppinion just like anyone on the site. If you choose to take that personal then thats your problem, my oppinion is for the animals sake. I would not do it period, despite if people on the internet say it can be done I don't see the point and why you would even bother risking it....

It is impossible to keep an eye on them 24/7.

Why would anyone risk it??

zoos risk mixing differant critters so i did some research and had a go my self and worked fine for my reptile keeping when i was younger

jeremy, i have the housing facilities for them its was just a question. one thing that i hate and im sure others will agree with me is when people like you jeremy, do not have anything good to say they just wanna pull you down because your behind a computer. thank you for the people who helped me with my question. i will not be doing it just to let you guys know. cheers

nicely said

What does this mean then? I'm not putting you down I am stating my oppinion just like anyone on the site. If you choose to take that personal then thats your problem, my oppinion is for the animals sake. I would not do it period, despite if people on the internet say it can be done I don't see the point and why you would even bother risking it....

ok thank you steve irwin you really made my life so much easier with your abundance of knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back