Digital SLR's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to a Fuji Finepix S1600 beause the LCD on my trusty, reliable S5700 died... If it weren't for that happening, I wouldn't have got a new camera, but I didn't have much of a choice :)

With the S1600, to be totally honest, I am disatisfied with it- the image quality is no way near as good, the macro is crappier than the old camera, it seems slow etc. I used to love photography, but since using this camera I couldn't be bothered taking photos, because the quality is not up to my standards!

So, for my 21st birthday my mother suggested she could upgrade my camera, but the problem is that the budget is very low- they could afford the finepix HS10, but from what I've read the image quality isn't great on it either, though it has a lot of other features. What I'm thinking of doing, is just asking if they could put say $500 aside to pay towards a dSLR, and I'll pay the rest.

The next thing then is, which dSLR do I get? I love a huge assortment of photography, and particularly enjoy macro photography. My blog has an example of the type of things I like to take photos of (Kitah Photography: Reptiles and amphibians) I have a reasonable understanding of photography etc, but have never actually considered a dSLR before so don't know exactly what to look for, what are reasonable priced but fair quality lenses etc. I've been told that you can pick up lenses for Canon cameras more easily, and cheaper than fr other brands but I'm not sure on that one.

So basically- what brands and what types of lenses would you suggest? I like doing a lot of animal photography, macro, landscapes, and often nightime, waterfall etc shots.

If you can, feel free to post images that you've taken and mention the equipment you used to take it. It'd be great to see an assortment of pictures from a few different types of cameras in different circumstances, e.g. low light, high light, an image of a rapidly moving object (e.g. car, horse), etc.

I hope this made sense, and I apolgogize for the length :)

Awesome, thanks a lot :) I realise that I can't get a top quality camera, but if anyone can suggest anything, provided its not say $3000 for the body itself, and tonnes for the accompanying lenses.

Pick a camera out and look it up on "Youtube" there are some excellent references on there "at no cost".....solar 17 [Baden]

Kitah , I use pentax DSLR and always have , they are a great camera and are not worth an arm and a leg , they also take a great shot with the right lenses .
I recently just got a new Pentax K-x with 17-70mm sigma lens for $800 and i all ready had the Tamron 90mmm macro , next lens will be Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 .
Here's a few shot I've taken with my pentax .
brettdarby's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
I know most say Canon or Nikon , but seriously i think that's just so they look cool ;)

I'm a huge fan of the Nikon cameras (comes down to personal preference though). I can't honestly speak for any other brands besides Canon and Nikon though, never really had the opportunity to have a play with any of the other ones (not just saying it to look cool ;)

Something around the Canon 500d or the Nikon D90 would do you well. I really like the Nikon for it's low light high ISO capability. Better than most anything else on the market for the price. It's not a bad idea to find your target body price...and then head to the shops to have a play around with each of the cameras around that price point. The feel of a camera can be important too.

www.cameralabs.com is a pretty good site for in depth reviews, and as Baden said, youtube is a great resource too.

With the D90 about to be replaced, you might be able to pick one up a bit cheaply.

I'll add more a bit later on after work.

Here's a link to my junk though! Flickr: bradchiplin's Photostream

Unbeliveable photos there brad! nice work!!

Bugger... maybe I don't want an SLR now- I'll be disapointed if I don't take pictures as stunning as those now! (Haha I'm just kidding, I still want one, but all of your photos are fantastic guys!) Its what I really want to see though, example pictures that certain cameras have taken, so this is fantastic, thanks guys!

Last edited:
I've always loved my olympus - but I can't link you to my redbubble page anymore - but you know how to find it.

Personally - I'd take any of the top three brands - but with the 4/3 market now reaching a lofty amount of lenses - I'd possibly stick with the Oly...

The positives - easy to use, awesome quality, awesome lenses (Zuiko are the best lenses I've ever used), awesome in-camera production techniques from panorama through to pin-hole, fantastic point and shoot ability too - for an SLR that can be very important as sometimes you're just not ready for that awesome shot and then.... it happens... sucks if you don't have a decent ability to just point and shoot...

Same features as others of course - similar price tags....

There are possible downsides... but to be honest... when I compare Nikon, Canon and Olympus - they're a much of a muchness and it comes to personal preferences only.

This is what makes it kinda difficult :) It'd be awesome to be able to have a thorough 'play' with the cameras I'm considering to see which I prefer the most, but its not possible!

Does anyone have a fair bit of experience with an assortment of models and brands?

Kitah - yes, but need to know specifically what info you're after. Too much to put it all down!!

All much of a muchness really when you are talking the big brands. I went Nikon (D90) for comfort. It just felt the best in my hands with all the controls in the right places. I didn't like the feel and buttons of the canon, but others do. Just have to go try them all out ;-)

Sorry, I just meant what is your personal preference between the brands (Obviously you like the Nikon the best, Kristy), but for image quality, comfort, build quality, better lenses/selection of lenses, autofocus, speed (actually, speed is rather important to me :))

As far as all those qualities go, canon & Nikon are much of a muchness. As said, I picked for comfort & ease of use to me. Both produce virtually the same lenses at same speeds, same body quality etc. You pay more for speed. Also look for image sensor size over megapixels, particularly in high-end point&shoots like Olympus G-series. More info next week ;)

Ok thanks :) sorry about all the questions!

Quick question about lenses; as far as quality goes, it seems as though the longer the 'range' of a lens, the poorer the quality, yet at the same time I've read a lot of great things about the canon or nikon 18-200mm lenses.

My question is, which do you think I'd be better off with, a 18-200mm lens (Which I like the sound of as I often go from close ups to distance shots, e.g. animal photography) or with two seperate lenses (e.g. 18-55mm and a 55-200mm)? It seems like it'd be a real pain in the **** to constantly switch lenses, and I'd loose potential shots. Is the quality of the 18-200mm shots good?

This is just as a starter, as I hope to later get more lenses, in addition to a macro lens.

In reply to this (PM later with other stuff, as promised) - you're right on both accounts :) Sorry. Yes, 18-200mm is GREAT for versatility, but you do lose some quality, particularly around the edges at wide angle settings, and in low light conditions at zoom settings.

On the other hand, changing lenses is a pain in the bum! The 18-55mm and 55-200mm aren't fantastic quality anyway (Nikon have similar lenses to pick from if you're still thinking the d90). I'd go a 18-200mm while you're learning the skills and have no money :D and aim for a 24-70mm f2.8, and 70-200mm f2.8 in the future if you get more serious. THEY are lenses to be proud of, and for the quality you get from them, you'll be happy with the pain it causes you to switch over all the time :)

I'm be getting a 50mm f1.4, and 18-200mm to start with... Macro lenses come later ;) JMO

I don't have a cannon so I can't answer that... But... I do have fixed focus lenses (105mm, 35mm, and 30mm) as well as zoom (14 - 54mm, 45 - 150mm, 55 - 200mm, 150 - 300mm and even a 600 - 1300mm).

As for quality - I can't recall the exact name of the term where you lose some part of your photograph's edges because of zoom... But it is apparent and in some cases requires cropping to accommodate... although I rarely crop.

I find zoom macro and using a fixed focus macro to be comparable at low res, but at high res I'd only use fixed focal.

eg:

Fixed focus (105mm) macro:

3297918-2-one-drop-is-all-it-takes.jpg

Zoom @ 300mm (essentially macro):

2282678-6-dragonfly-ii.jpg

Zoom @ 300mm (long distance):

work.4415513.1.lp,375x360,b,s,U3Vuc2V0IENoYXJ0ZXJzIFRvd2VycyAtIE5vcnRoIFF1ZWVuc2xhbmQ%3D.jpg

Zoom @ 1300mm (hand held, long distance):

work.3372618.2.lp,375x360,b,s,TW9vbiBSaXNlIC0gNiBKdWx5IDIwMDk%3D.jpg

Now which one(s) have been cropped? Bet you can't guess... :)

I have the same problem, i purchased the fuji finepix s1500 and dont like it at all, i love taking fotos (as all my fb friends no) but no where near the quality i expected from this camera :( Can i bye accompany lenses do you no, i havnt looked into it because ive been devo at the quality ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back