Dimming Thermostat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie_lad

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Can some one please recommend me a thermostat with a timer that will run my heat globe and has a timer on it to run my UV light. It is for a beardie dragon tank. I have currently been using the JET-005 but have received 2 faulty units and wish to try a different one. I need it to turn on my heat globe and uv globe in the morning, hold the temps then turn it all of at night!

Any help would be appreciated thank you. This is kind of urgent as I need to send the faulty unit back to the shop asap!

Just get a regular dimming thermostat from herpshop and plug them into the cheap timers you get from bunnings.

Is there any brands in particular Snowman that you would recommend? I like the idea of having a digital screen etc. Thanks for you input!

I just use habistat thermostats.. But they dont have a digital screen. Thermostats should always be used in conjunction with a thermometer, which usually has a digital screen. I just use the cheap probe thermometers from bunnings. They are like $13 in the outdoor section.

I bought a pack of two timers from Coles/Woolies for about $10 they have 10 or 15min increments so even if you used a regular thermostat these would let you govern the times of day really well, you just need a power board or one of the old style sloping double adaptors as they are too wide to plug in side by side.

I bought a pack of two timers from Coles/Woolies for about $10 they have 10 or 15min increments so even if you used a regular thermostat these would let you govern the times of day really well, you just need a power board or one of the old style sloping double adaptors as they are too wide to plug in side by side.

I work at coles and got the same one you did. Two x dial timers for $12 I think. Right beside it there are these power boards that are extra long that allows the timers to go in without taking up two spots. There a bit expensive but worth it imo.

For under 20 bucks you can get a digital timer with LCD screen from Bunnings. I use them on my enclosures and unlike the cheaper dial ones don't make any noise ( gearboxes in them can be quite loud ).

Is there any brands in particular Snowman that you would recommend? I like the idea of having a digital screen etc. Thanks for you input!

Just get a Habistat dimming thermo. No need for fancy LED display. I use one for my EWD enclosure, works great.

For under 20 bucks you can get a digital timer with LCD screen from Bunnings. I use them on my enclosures and unlike the cheaper dial ones don't make any noise ( gearboxes in them can be quite loud ).

Plus most have a build in battery to save settings, so if the power goes out for a bit the ON/OFF times aren't affected. I have ones that hold power/settings for two weeks without charging.

Thanks for the suggestions guys/girls I will look at bunnings this weekend for a timer and thermo I did not know they sell digital thermos. Does any one have any pics or links to the ones they have?

Plus most have a build in battery to save settings, so if the power goes out for a bit the ON/OFF times aren't affected. I have ones that hold power/settings for two weeks without charging.

+1
Exactly whati have all my thermostats plugged into.

Thanks for the suggestions guys/girls I will look at bunnings this weekend for a timer and thermo I did not know they sell digital thermos. Does any one have any pics or links to the ones they have?

This is the one I use: City Software Greenpoint Power Timer - YouTube
(not my review) I can't find it for sale anywhere now. I bought mine at least 18 mths ago.

So im getting abit confused here do I need to get a thermostat, thermometer and a timer? I want my setup to run 7am-7pm then switch my heat and UV completely off for 12 hours. Wouldnt a thermostat have a thermometer built in to it and I then plug then timer into this?

So im getting abit confused here do I need to get a thermostat, thermometer and a timer? I want my setup to run 7am-7pm then switch my heat and UV completely off for 12 hours. Wouldnt a thermostat have a thermometer built in to it and I then plug then timer into this?

NEVER go off the thermostat thermometer or dial setting. Always best to have a dedicated thermometer. They are only $13 at bunnings.

Yes it's best to have all three devices.

Thanks snowman so how do i set them all up? ie what plugs in to what?

The thermometer is just on its own. If you get the $13 probe one from bunnings in the outdoor gardening section, then you can drill two small holes, one at the warm end and one at the cool end. Mount the thermometer at the cool end inside. Thread the probe through the hole at the cool end and out the back of the viv, then come back in the viv with the probe at the warm end via the other hole. Put the thermometer probe where the dragons are likely to bask. So you can measure their basking temp. Two temps are displayed on the thermometer. The probe and where the unit is sitting. At a glance you will be able to see the temps at the basking spot and cool end of the viv.

The timer set for 12 hours on and 12 hours off. Plug it into the wall power point and then plug a power board into the timer. This will turn the power board on and off for night and day.
Plug your UV light straight into the power board. It will just go on and off for 12 hours with the timer.
Plug your thermostat into the power board and then plug your heat source into the thermostat. Keep adjusting the heat until your thermometer reads the correct temp in the basking spot.

Then you are done.

That has cleared it up a lot more is there any reason why you put the thermometer unit in the tank or is this just personal preference i.e can I just put the probe in the hot end and keep the display outside the tank?

Also I was told it is better to have a dimming thermostat so the temps could even out all day and my globes would not blow as fast. What would happen if it was not dimming wouldnt the basking spot get to hot if it is constant heat on the one spot?

Also is this the digital thermometer your referring to from bunnings? Weather Forecaster Sontax Digtal Wall Thermometer Vsn114 - Bunnings Warehouse

The thermometers I got look different, but that looks like it would do the trick. Just a preference to have the unit inside. Just so I can see what the temps are at the cool end as well.

Dimming will make your globes last a lot longer and save you $$$ in the long run. A simple on off thermostat will still work, but you will go through more globes. The constant on and off means the metal fillament inside the globe is constantly expanding and contracting. This causes them to break eventually and you get what we call a blown globe.

Ah I see, do you know of any decent dimming thermo stats around? im looking at the habistat dimming one will I not need the day/night one as im not having anything on at night?

Just get a habistat or microclimat basic dimming thermostat, the way you are setting them up you don't need any extra features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back