Disapointing Moment

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poggle

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was recently lucky enough to attend a work conference at a wild life sanctuary. Before getting in to this story i will not name which one it is, as i do appreciate their cause on their other efforts.

Being all snakey and reptileish, this was the first area i ran to. They did have some nice specimans, although i was not real happy with the enclosures they were kept in. After about approx 20 mins looking a gentleman came over and started talking about the snakes to me. I asked him why he had hyrbrids on display for a natural wild life demo. He stated it was not a hybrid - ( to me it looked like a darwin x jungle hybrid, 18mths old and was about 3 ft. The bloke then went on to tell me it was an southern inland Scrub python. I was shocked with his answer. I asked if it was a licensed snake or a rescue, he told me licensed, andi asked if that was what it was sold to him as and he said yes - this is the curator by the way). I walked off after this, although i then heard him telling a co worker of mine that brown tree snakes were a colubrid - which meant that had no venom, so of course i stuck my nose in again lol, and said were techinally you r half right, they are a colubrid, although they are rear fanged and do produce venom, to which he denied.... at this point i was like meh..... My co worker then asked if any of these snakes were like mine and he heard me talking bout my GTP's. He asked if i would be interested in donating one to their cause, with out being to rude, i said i was in no position to donate a snake at this time.... would not have been confident on it surviving.

very sad. and to ask for such a huge "donation" I would have definately said no too

The best intentions I am sure.

But seriously if you are going work in the field, even as a volenteer, a bit more knowledge should be expected.

I have seen and bred a lot of darwins over the years and some do look a lot like jungles.What made you think you were looking at a hybrid?

I have seen and bred a lot of darwins over the years and some do look a lot like jungles.What made you think you were looking at a hybrid?

Markings on head, colour, was a real goldy red :S sounds weird i wish i had a pic, but yeah. they also had a diamond cross, but the snake he thought was an inland scrubbie was the one that looked more like a darwin jungle cross. i could be wrong. but was def no SCRUBBIE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back