Discriminated @ Pet Store Over Buying Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me: Do you have any feeders?

Manager at the counter: "Feeders?"

Me: Yeah, like, rats and mice and *stuff*

Manager: Feeding to WHAT?!

Me: Snakes?

Manasger: I have to ask you to leave right now

Me: No freezies then?

Manager: NO!

Me: *Points to cage* how about those rats? How much?

Manager: *Smirks* $50 for you!

Me: Bull-poop... *turns to boyfriend* this had better be the best damn rat Diab's ever tasted *pulls out wallet*

Manager: *Starts yelling random three-figure numbers and boyfriend tries to grab my wallet, other customers are watching*

Me: Eventually walks out laughing

--

I've also had people call me up and tell me to go to hell because I advertised on Gumtree I wanted a local rat breeder to supply to me. No joke.

Go back and ask again....When they ask just say I got a new recipe for Rat Kebab or rat on a stick. Tell them you need it live because the stick goes in easier when they wiggle.:lol:

all i can say in this matter is pity their ignorance

oh and surely there must be more stories like this since 8 months ago?

it is up to the shop who they sell to and they don't have to sell them to you, also for all vertebrates they have to keep a animals sold register with your name, adress and phone number.i work in a pet shop and i have no problem selling them for breeding for food.
sorry im just excited that someone else on here lives in bx hahahaa what pet shop are you at?

Sounds silly but happens alot, So does that mean its ok to offer feeder fish to an oscar or cichlid etc but wrong to feed it to your tree snake, turtle or croc?

02052009mouse-poster_t300.jpg

My Bf went to buy some mice, at a inner city pet store, and asked for female mice TODAY, this is what happened *In script form*

(My Bf walks into the store, looking at mice, and approaches a woman with short blonde hair and pink streaks)

BF: Hi could I buy these 4 females, and one male? (points to enclosure)

PET STORE WOMAN: What do you want them for?

BF: To breed them.

PET STORE WOMAN: (she smiles and casually asks) For snakes?

BF: Yep

PET STORE WOMAN: I can't sell them to you, its illegal to sell them to you, I wouldn't do that

BF: Oh, Im just breeding them, not feeding them at all.

PET STORE WOMAN: It doesn't matter

PET STORE WOMAN: The worming medication and mite spray will stay in the mouse and off spring for 6 months.

BF: Thats no Concern, I just want these mice.

PET STORE WOMAN: Im sorry I cant sell them to you (smiles sycastically)

Theres another shop down the road that sells mice that are alive for feeding.

Im only thinking of the interest of the animals.

BF: Your only thinking from your ignorance.

Key Point : He was buying mice for breeding, a Pet Store Owner shouldn't discriminate him just because he owns snakes and deny his purchase over breeding them.

QUESTIONS:

1. Do you think its Logical for her to not sell them to my Boyfriend just because some of the offspring may be used as food at some point down the track?

2. If this is happened to you, let me know by posting on this thread & what the resolution was.

I haven't read all the replies yet but I don't believe she did discriminate against your BF. It is the law. Pet stores are not allowed to sell mice intended for feeding to snakes, owls or whatever. Your BF shot himself in the foot by being so blunt. He should not have given her the hint that they were for breeding for snake food. Its only the big headed keepers that gloat and rant, and request live mice to chuck it in for a snake, that have encouraged the laws to be this way.

They dont have to do business with you if they dont want to.
I never tell them its for feeding, i always use my nephews or nieces as an alibi.

Just about sums it up... walk out & get over it...

Jamie

I haven't read all the replies yet but I don't believe she did discriminate against your BF. It is the law. Pet stores are not allowed to sell mice intended for feeding to snakes, owls or whatever. Your BF shot himself in the foot by being so blunt. He should not have given her the hint that they were for breeding for snake food. Its only the big headed keepers that gloat and rant, and request live mice to chuck it in for a snake, that have encouraged the laws to be this way.

Which law are you refering to. I'm aware that it is illigal to live feed your snake, but I was unaware that selling mice that are to be bred then killed for feeding purposes was illigal. I realise that it may be a difference in laws between states but I find the logic behind it a bit strange. I agree that he should have been smarter and just said they were for something else. He was probably fishing for a reaction anyway.

At the end of the day it is the shop's decision who they sell their product too. As mentioned by others in this post, the OP should just move on.

You can't be serious. Please reference the statute covering the legalities mentioned.

One of the strangest things I ever had anything to do with happened at Orimbah on the Central Coast
Called into a pet shop to buy rats
Owner wasnt there
Just a young girl must have been on work experience
Asked for 5 big live rats
"What colour do you want? We have some lovely ones"
Doesnt matter
"How many males and females?"
doesnt matter
"Would you like to pick them out?"
No just toss some in a box
"Why dont you care about them?"
Just snake food
"Sorry all the rats are ordered. Cant sell them to you"
OK give me guinea pigs
"Sorry All ordered too"
OK Ill just take those kittens in the window

Her mouth dropped open that wide she could have swallowed an orange
She actually followed me out to my car and wrote down the licence number
So I gave her a card to make it easier

One of the strangest things I ever had anything to do with happened at Orimbah on the Central Coast
Called into a pet shop to buy rats
Owner wasnt there
Just a young girl must have been on work experience
Asked for 5 big live rats
"What colour do you want? We have some lovely ones"
Doesnt matter
"How many males and females?"
doesnt matter
"Would you like to pick them out?"
No just toss some in a box
"Why dont you care about them?"
Just snake food
"Sorry all the rats are ordered. Cant sell them to you"
OK give me guinea pigs
"Sorry All ordered too"
OK Ill just take those kittens in the window

Her mouth dropped open that wide she could have swallowed an orange
She actually followed me out to my car and wrote down the licence number
So I gave her a card to make it easier

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I can't remember where I saw it but I know from when I had my pet store, and any pet store would tell you the same, selling mammals for the intention of feeding to other animals was prohibited. This did not include insects or fish. I will keep looking for my reference. I thought it was written under National Parks & Wildlife code of practice but it may have been the RSPCA. Selling animals intended for breeding, where offspring would be used for food was not the issue, but selling live mammals which were intended as food items was not allowed. But as many pet store workers would tell you, so much as mention snake in their shop, and they will not sell you a mouse.

What if a person was going to eat them?

I can't remember where I saw it but I know from when I had my pet store, and any pet store would tell you the same, selling mammals for the intention of feeding to other animals was prohibited. This did not include insects or fish. I will keep looking for my reference. I thought it was written under National Parks & Wildlife code of practice but it may have been the RSPCA. Selling animals intended for breeding, where offspring would be used for food was not the issue, but selling live mammals which were intended as food items was not allowed. But as many pet store workers would tell you, so much as mention snake in their shop, and they will not sell you a mouse.

Ok, after searching the RSPCA's website, I did find that such laws aren't enforcable, and are recommendations only.

However, every pet store worker I have spoke to have told me the same thing - they claim they can lose their business if it they were caught selling animals such as mice and rats, as intended live food items. One pet store even went to the extent of telling me that they were required by National Parks laws to take mouse buyers, reptile license details when such ppl were buying mice or rats, rabbits or guinea pigs.

Gordo - you still should not tell them. Our local rabbit farms will not sell you a pet rabbit if you let them think you are taking it home to eat.

i work in a pet store, and we are required by law not to sell live animals of any description(exept fish) if we KNOW that the critter is going to be used for live food, however there is no requirement to not sell to people who are breeding for pet food. However on a different note with the amount of kittens being abandoned i think that we should be able to c02 them and use them for snake food, im getting at least 30 a week at the moment, would be doing the enviroment a favour too, feed cats to native animals instead of the other way round. Sounds fair.Lol

Wow, i neva new people could have so much trouble, where i live i just went in to enquire about rats, and mice to breed and the ladys there were telling me everything about how to breed and ways to co2 them. they all know i have a snake cause i have brought some frozen ones from them before. but they did say the same thing about cant sell live ones to feed, but breeding them so the offspring cant be feed is fine..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back