DIY Bredli Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dippy

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the Hypo Bredli I've been waiting for. He is very placid and hasn't tried to bite me once which I found a little weird after having a Children's Python that snapped at anything that moved lol. I have been given both an old Melamine Cupboard and $200 to turn it into an enclosure with for my Birthday, quite excited too because I am about to get a pulse thermostat for Christmas too lol but am unsure of the best way in which to maintain it's heat. I plan on having two air vents in the enclosure with one near the bottom and one near the top for air flow, I was wondering what you guys believe to be the best options for heating? I was thinking a 150 watt ceramic but I'm unsure of where to place it... Will it heat enough of the cage? Or will I need 2? And also the toss up between Glass sliding doors or Persex as the glass may make the cupboard front heavy? Anyway the enclosure will be 3ft L X 1.5ft W X 4ft H if that helps with the placing of the heating ceramic? I also plan on splitting the enclosure with the Children's python underneath in a 3ft L X 1.5ft W X 2ft H

Here's a pic of my starting cupboard, it currently stands at
3ft L X 1.5ft W X 6ft H

dsc00210mt.jpg

Any and all ideas And or cheaper ways of building this thing are welcome :)

Cheers

if the above was mine , i would use a tiled heat pad in each enclosure [ there cheap to make and u dont need a high wattage to do the job] .i would go with perspex sliding doors , but thats just me .

i wouldnt use perspex as it tends to bend and scratch then go ugly (imo) so maybe sliding glass doors for the top an for the children's depending how big it is, if its small maybe use glass with a wooden frame as a door(but because it will be able to slide through the gap on sliding door), but if it fairly big you can use sliding glass doors. for heating you could just use 100-150 watt flood light for viewing an heating with a mes cage around it, and for the small one the same thing just use a 70 or so watt , but just make sure their both on thermostats, an just buy lights from big w ,Woolworths etc etc, there just the same as light from pet stores, they just last longer... hope this helps

I was wondering if its old melamine might have moisture/humidity damage as most seem to fall apart when you try to move them,might be even mould contaminated.

Perspex is fine.Have been using it for well over 10 years on 30+ enclosures and it still looks good and hasn't bent.

Yeah- track down your local "Reverse Garbage" place and you can score some sweet perspex sheets for very cheap

yes agree with perspex good stuff if you put a wood frame around the edges it will take away any flex although thats with a swinging door and if you leave the paper cover on it (if its new)then take it off at the end you will avoid any scratches

Last edited:
I've checked the cupboard and the only problem with it is a smoke stains, because my dad is a chronic smoker and he had it for 11 years lol. I'm deffinately going with Perspex now :) does anyone have ideas for the placing of the air vents or heat lamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back