Do ALL Geckos need Uv light?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sxc_celly

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Do all types of geckos need uv light? i know some snakes do and dont. But do all geckos? or only some species? Thanks :)

Most? geckos are nocturnal so wouldnt see the sun in the wild as they are hiding in burrows etc. I dont have UV on any of my geckos but I do dust their food with calcium/vit D powder

I just wasnt sure about during the day time. What sort of light should i be installing then? A night time globe? or just a regular fluro will do? Thanks

Celeste

most of mine have heat mats or cords. I have one with a Oz purple light

Yes, Magpie is right. The two main Genus' that are thought to require UV Lighting are: Strophurus (Arboreal relatives of Diplodactylus) and Cyrtodactylus. It is debatable to whether the Cyrtodactylus louisiadensis (Ring Tailed gecko) requires it as People have successfully raised and bred animals without the Lighting. The same goes with Strophurus.

My opinion is that the two Genus' should have a UV Light.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Im glad there as people here i can count on for positive knowledgale info :) thanks again :)

For those who are unshore of UV it is actually needed by all animals (not just reptiles) UV is obsorbed by all living things plants, mammals (including humans) and of course reptiles. The UV helps with our bodies intake Calcium. If your herps arnt exspossed to UV light and your dusting there food with calcium then chances are itll just build up in there bodies and it can course serious harm (i cant remeber the condition off hand lol) i recomend uv for all Herps but that doesnt mean go out and get an exspensive UV there are some good UV tubes available for around $20 with both UV-A and UV-B. for nocturnal animals it is still required as even if they hide they may still sit at the ends of there burrows and take in a little UV (my O. marmorata do it at home every now and again). Dont worry to much about UV however as you can still raise good animals with minimum exposure to it but if your a perfectionist then its a good idea to get UV.

for nocturnal animals it is still required as even if they hide they may still sit at the ends of there burrows and take in a little UV.

levis plug up the entrance to their burrow during the day to retain moisture

Yep Cyrtodactylus & Strophurus are all that need them.. Then again I've raised my Strophurus without a constant supply of UV... They do get it from time to time though...

Yea i know about the levis plugging there burrows and a few species do it but like i said people have have healthy animals without the UV and some have. Its more of a personal preference to the breeder i guess, if you feel that your animal is healthy, happy and feeding well without it then the UV wont be necessary. I my self use UV for my youngsters after theyve hatched and i use it sometimes during breeding but i dont really use it alot. I dust the food with calcium and multivitamins just to make shore they get as much out of there diet as possable. Heres a question a little of the subject but i use red sand with my Geckos and i was wandering what people thought of the black sand? ive never used it but thought ive setting up a new tank for my Hypo Levis and i thought the black would be really contrasting.

Hello

Hello,

Personally, I think that some form of UVB is good for geckos. Leos are not all nocturnal. Our leo sits out almost all day long, or sits under his log. We have a reptisun over him. It just helps with overall calcium & D3 absorption. It doesn't hurt anyway, to provide some for them.

Tracie

Yea i agree with tracie, if your going to get the license to keep reptiles and spend the big $$$ to get them wants wrong with spending the extra cash? it wont hurt them at all and then your looking out for the best interest of the Gecko.

Personally I don't see the point in providing UVA/UVB to animals that hide until the lights go out, but it won't do any harm either. It's up to personal preference I guess.

I provide UVA/UVB to my strophs for obvious reasons, the only other species that would actually get some of it if I was to use it would be my swaini, everything else in my collection hides during the day and would not get any benefit.

Would love to see pics of your hypo levis Zane, are you in Australia?

Hey Saz im away for the long weekend but when i get home ill try and get a few pics for you and post them up.

Great stuff, would love too see what you mean by 'hypo levis'. I love knobbies, hehehe!!

Aren't they pilbariensis? I've got a large female with very similar coloration.

:0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back