Do Reptiles Yawn?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leigh

Reaction score
do reptiles yawn? (to repeat the titled question unnecesarily)

i thought i saw my beardy in pain, or constipated, or something wrong, only to see him settle down, and start going to bed.

a yawn?

just curious, not a medical dilema or anything...

Well I've seen my snake Yawn i'm not sure if it is or not but he opens his mouth and it stays open for a bit then he closes it. he could be rearranging it but Im not sure

Yawn

I have sighted quite a few of our pythons yawning. If the camera is handy it makes for a great shot. There was a pic of a black and gold jungle posted a few weeks back. It was yawning and quite an incredible shot.

I've haven't been around snakes that much but what I have seen of snakes yawning makes me cringe.
They dislocate their jaw for a bit, wiggle it about, then put it back together.

For example:
[video=youtube;EBZxaqqt7qM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBZxaqqt7qM[/video]

Youch! I cringe mostly because about a year ago I had a weak jaw and every time I yawned hard it would pop and hurt like hell.

yeh reptiles do yawn,
ive seen pythons, beardies, shingle backs and bluey's do it.

yep my blue tongues yawn all the time hehe

Ohhh I have two cats but one of mine would kill my babies cant do that i rather keep my snakes alive :p but they do **** me sometimes and have been told I should feed the cats to the snakes lmao :D

I have seen my babies yawn also and guess what.....I yawn afterwards too...hehehhee...Yawns are so contagious :)

After being fed Carpets always seem to yawn to realign their jaws where-as Womas and BHPs just seem to wait it out and they just sort of realign themselves without a yawn usually. Apart from feeding, I have seen almost all my snakes yawn at some time or another and I always seem to catch them when they’ve got their head outside their hide and after a few yawns they seem to curl themselves back up in the hide and apparently go to sleep. Seems like a genuine yawn to me.

after feed yawn

HumphreyYawn01.jpg

great shot, and thanks for all the responses to this one little question. granted, most of the responses were exactly the same...

and yeh, i saw a guy yawn from behind this morning, and then i yawned, but im not even sure if he yawned, he just stretched his arms and looked tired, and so i yawned... weird....

or im just weird...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back