Do snakes need a day night cycle?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newsnakelover

Not so new Member
Reaction score
At the moment in my enclosure which i used ages ago for lizard i have 2 basking lights (keep heat up) they run until temp is reached then turn off from thermostat, is that okay to use them or do i need a day night cycle?

I would say it is ok during natural daylight hours, but you can't be having the lights coming on at 2am if the temps fall.

cheers Dave

Yes they do need a day/night cycle. Depending on your location, most mature aged herps won't need night time heat.

would heat emitters be better? they produce no light just heat.

Yeah in my gtp enclosure, I have day lights on a thermostat and timer so it comes on at 6am and turns off at 6pm. And i have a heat panel on thermostat that kicks in at night to my desired temps. Hope this helps, but if there is someone who has more knowledge than I and there's lots I'm sure they will correct any information that I'm not right about.

cheers Dave

I would recommend a day night cycle, I personally provide it for all my animals, I feel it promotes more natural behaviour. I also believe lights coming on and off all hours can stress animals. What do you have in it and where are you? Depending on location most animals over a certain age will not need night time heat anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Jp2 beat me to it

the way i look at it is that all living things from plants to people need a day night cycle for a healthy life , why should snakes be an exception ? but yes CHE are good , i use them and so far so good , year on with using them with a dimming stat and there all still heating fine

melbourne, 3 month old spotted python i can send a picture of enclosure if you want

melbourne, 3 month old spotted python i can send a picture of enclosure if you want

Buy a click clack container from the supermarket, get a heat matt and use the thermostat you have and problem solved. Use the enclosure when it has gained some size.

i havent read the previos posts to this thread so please forgive me if ive repeated anything, but yes i would say that they do need a day night cycle as would all other creature, mostly due to the fact that you are trying to imitate your creatures natural habitat, and as for a heat requirement which is very important if in your cycle on of the evenings get abit nippy, it wouldnt be a train smash because just like in nature there are those sudden spurts of clashing weather, hope ive managed to help :)

- - - Updated - - -

but if you are worried about heat issues in the evenings just, like i caught notice of people mentioning, use heating pads/mats :)

- - - Updated - - -

but if you are worried about heat issues in the evenings just, like i caught notice of people mentioning, use heating pads/mats :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back