Do you get sucked in by the hiked up reptile product prices?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey am not impling at all that any bulbs or heat sources are better than others. you need to choose what siuts your own needs.
Yes i do use cheap heat bulbs & i also use heat emmitters & heat cables/mats. Every one of these has a different application.

Cheers
Ian

Did I come off as sarcastic? Sorry, I didn't mean to. I'm finding all this discussion and information to be very timely considering my current project. I don't want to make mistakes in the cabinet I'm converting so I'm doing a lot of research at the moment.

Did I come off as sarcastic? Sorry, I didn't mean to. I'm finding all this discussion and information to be very timely considering my current project. I don't want to make mistakes in the cabinet I'm converting so I'm doing a lot of research at the moment.

No mate not at all.
I was just stateing that i use cheap bulbs as well, they do just fine.

Cheers
ian

Ian, have you had experience with either brand of the Radiant heaters?, Kyles

WHOLLY -9 degree's...thats freezing haha how was the snake coping? Huddled up on the heatmat?

Narh all outdoors no heatmat or anything. They are adults so have a decent body mass and do fine basking during the day and spending the nights in an insulated hide box.. has been working for several years like this for them.

However thanks for the input.

No worries.

P.s I would like to add...after going back and reading through my comments that the temperature of 28 Degrees at the cold end is after 5 hours of the light being on. My Partner has just informed me the air in the tank is 28 degree's (thats right near the bulb) and the light has been on for just over two hours. So I am not cooking my snakes yet :p

Also as Ian posted a thread earlier without input and discussion I'm not going to learn (neither are other's), so thanks people for not 'shooting' down on anything that has been said or discussed :D
:)

Ian, have you had experience with either brand of the Radiant heaters?, Kyles

Mate no i have not, only heard what others have said about different types.
The heat emiter globes that i use have come from a cheap source (i think you know where i mean) thay are not very reliant but do the job that i ask of them. I would love to do some trials in the future with different types & brands.
There is so much on the market now days & also the differering type of bulb that can give down heat, night heat,radiated outwards heat etc, there is too much for one person like myself to take on.

Cheers
Ian

I know what you mean about there being so many options for heating, and then when you throw in the competitive brands it all gets way too confusing. That's why I've been reading as many threads as possible and asking questions. It can sometimes cost as much for freight as it does for the item out here so I like to get it right the first time if I can.

I know what you mean about there being so many options for heating, and then when you throw in the competitive brands it all gets way too confusing. That's why I've been reading as many threads as possible and asking questions. It can sometimes cost as much for freight as it does for the item out here so I like to get it right the first time if I can.

I agree....however (you probably already do) but check out a few of your main online sites-Ebay, Greysonline etc anything like that. There are a few more Businesses popping up in Australia that are focusing more on reptile products, recently I bought my 14wat heat mat (which looks exactly the same as what you get from the shops) for $18.00 including free delivery. The guy had a head of other products also and was located in brisbane!

I have two pythons in there plus on an upside we actually recently got the QLD climate change mob to come to our house and install the electicity meter etc etc and I was able to work out exactly how much that bulb uses an hour. If I were to have it on for 10 hours a day it would cost me -
.03kw per hour..which would be .3kw per day and we pay 22c per kw so approx 9c per day. etc etc but am only using the bulb for 2-3hours a day so reduces the cost greatly. I chose this bulb due to the tank size, a 60watt bulb (I realised you said as a guide) would not do anything for a tank this size, also right near the bulb is the top vent allowing air exchange-the heat from a 60 would go straight out this section.

I do have a 60watt upstairs in my Bredli tank. That tank is approx 120-140cm long. The ceremic bulb heats a very tiny section. I also see him on top of his hide positioned right below the bulb

I found that this bulb heats the top section of the wall-see photo's attached to a comfortable ttemperature...but I mainly got this bulb for heating the whole enclosure not a particular area-which I have found that when you open the tank and stick your hands in there you can feel a temperature difference in comparison to outside the tank...

I agree with the tolerence also, and have ensured that there are locations where the snakes are able to go to escape the heat.

WHOLLY -9 degree's...thats freezing haha how was the snake coping? Huddled up on the heatmat?
However thanks for the input.

I've switched to halogen bulbs from regular bulbs this year when I re-did my stacks. I have found them to provide a more localised heat at half the power consumption, helping not only with the bills but in creating a better thermal gradient in a small space.

Just something to consider... Oh, no they are not reptile marketed bulbs, light is light and heat is heat regardless of the packaing.

Red-Ink, can I ask what type of halogen bulbs you use? Thanks Kyles

I've switched to halogen bulbs from regular bulbs this year when I re-did my stacks. I have found them to provide a more localised heat at half the power consumption, helping not only with the bills but in creating a better thermal gradient in a small space.

Just something to consider... Oh, no they are not reptile marketed bulbs, light is light and heat is heat regardless of the packaing.

Exactly why I am happy with my 3 dollar bunning's bulbs :p

Thanks for that Red-Ink and to you too Skelhorn....... I'm adding all this to my knowledge base. :D

When i was in the USA at xmas. An enclosure 3 and a half foot came with 3 lights with globes. A mat a rock and some fake grass and a fake branch. Alone here the lights are say $60. The whole set up in the US was $200. Prices here are a joke.

Pet shops are an absolute wrought. All I ever buy from them is calcium powder and the occasional box of crickets to give my beardies a break from woodies. Pet shops are a joke. Pay ridiculous prices for bulbs that last less then half the time then a globe thats $6 at bunnings. I just wish UVB bulbs were more readily available in places other then pet shops. It's even harder in NSW, because we cant buy herps in the shops, there is sufficiently less equipment available. Hint to those who haven't discovered it yet, but indoor planting grow stores have VERY cheap lighting.

Pet shops are an absolute wrought. All I ever buy from them is calcium powder and the occasional box of crickets to give my beardies a break from woodies. Pet shops are a joke. Pay ridiculous prices for bulbs that last less then half the time then a globe thats $6 at bunnings. I just wish UVB bulbs were more readily available in places other then pet shops. It's even harder in NSW, because we cant buy herps in the shops, there is sufficiently less equipment available. Hint to those who haven't discovered it yet, but indoor planting grow stores have VERY cheap lighting.

Hi Rocky,
But you do buy food from them & other products, so come on champ tell us why you hate them so much.
All good pet stores have thier place.

Cheers
Ian

Petshops often offer advise not just the cheapest items. A cheap item is not much good if it costs twice as much to run or worse still kills your pet. There should be more considerations in what to buy than merely price!

Last edited by a moderator:
i buy a fair bit of stuff through my local reptile shop. some of the prices are a bit higher than i could buy from the net , but after postage and and not knowing when it will arrive/if it will arrive in one piece, then i'm more than happy to pay the extra couple of bucks.

i'm in weekly to get small crickets for my hatchy beardies, and they are the best priced rodent place in radelaide, i get to pick their brains about any husbandry tips, breeding tips, and i've even got to see some of their cool holdbacks and breeders.

only thing i dont buy through them is the spotlight globes from i get from bunnings, but i think they are getting those in now aswell. i still get ceramics and uvb's through the reptile shop

Petshops often offer advise not just the cheapest items. A cheap item is not much good if it costs twice as much to run or worse still kills your pet. There should be more considerations in what to buy than merely price!

Totally agree with you Wokka - about cheap V's quality. And the wellbeing of my animals will always be tantamount. However - sadly to date I have not received any worthwhile advice regarding my reptiles from any petstore from Dalby to Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back