do you really need a light in summer, when you have a heat mat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks mate, i leave the heat matt on all day and the snake always on the heat mat, but a night is sunbakes under the light
i put the light on at 6.oopm and the heat mat all day, is that alright

yer i got a thermometer the tank is massive its 2 meters high and about 60 cenem wide
the tank is like 27 degrees, it on the matt the hole day and under the light at night

have you got a thermometer? i would hazard to guess that unless your enclosure is massive a 100w would be putting out way to much heat.

You need to get a thermostat straight away. do a search on here for heat mat fails. they are dangerous if not used properly and can cause burns to your snake, and fires.
I have a 100 watt bulb ( the narrow beam bulbs) and it reads 36c at the hot end and 24 at the cooler end and our tank is 4'+2'+2' but with plenty of ventilation. Hope this is about right..Cheers Joe

I'd be concerned that you are giving a mainly noctunal animal no period of darkness. If you are getting 33 degrees on the mat then that is all he needs.

wow, i put 100w in my 2ft, and i was getting temps of 40-45 on the basking spot.

I agree with snowman about the lighting at night, unless of course your bulb is the infra red bulb.

Thats a massive enclosure for a tiny childrens! one very spoilt bub...

I have a 100 watt bulb ( the narrow beam bulbs) and it reads 36c at the hot end and 24 at the cooler end and our tank is 4'+2'+2' but with plenty of ventilation. Hope this is about right..Cheers Joe

what do you mean by a narrow beam bulb? a fluro bulb?

Hun i am only going by my experiences setting up my tanks. and i dont know anything about Olives and their requirements :)

Last edited:
hope all goes well! but try doing a little research on the temps and enclosure set ups on google for childrens pythons you will find a lot of info. But its always good to ask everyone on here! good luck with everything mate!

light on during the day, light off at night....get rid of the heat matt.
they are nocturnal animals and would want to explore in the night in the dark, not have there eyeballs burnt out by a bright light 24/7.

wow, i put 100w in my 2ft, and i was getting temps of 40-45 on the basking spot.

I agree with snowman about the lighting at night, unless of course your bulb is the infra red bulb.

Thats a massive enclosure for a tiny childrens! one very spoilt bub...

what do you mean by a narrow beam bulb? a fluro bulb?

Hun i am only going by my experiences setting up my tanks. and i dont know anything about Olives and their requirements :)
It's A bulb specially made to send a very narrow beam of heat out. We have it aimed above his basking rock. Cost about 30 bucks where the ordinary heat bulbs spreads more outwards. Hope this answers your question. Cheers Joe

joe i am even more confused now! lol. ill have to google and have a look at it! it sounds like it would be more effecient!

they are nocturnal animals and would want to explore in the night in the dark, not have there eyeballs burnt out by a bright light 24/7.

joe i am even more confused now! lol. ill have to google and have a look at it! it sounds like it would be more effecient!
Petbarn newto only place I have seen them. Cheers Joe

Do they fit into the standard cermaic holders, are they a white light? I use the infra red bulbs, this way it doesnt matter if i have to heat 24/7.

Do they fit into the standard cermaic holders, are they a white light? I use the infra red bulbs, this way it doesnt matter if i have to heat 24/7.
Yes the normal thread type, god I love this forum, chuffed that I am a snake owner by proxy lol..take care Joe

Snakes are the best Joe, by proxy or not. Guarantee you'll end up with more tham 1 and quicker than you expected.

Snakes are the best Joe, by proxy or not. Guarantee you'll end up with more tham 1 and quicker than you expected.
Your to late newto, it's already in the pipeline lol..have a great night. Joe

You can get Philips versions of the globes Joe is talking about from any store as well Sarah. It will be about a tenth of the price of "reptile globes" too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back