do you really need a light in summer, when you have a heat mat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

conor2036

Not so new Member
Reaction score
do you really need a light in summer, when you have a heat mat

Do you really need a heat mat in summer when you have a light?

for a tank, is it alright if u justuse a heat mat for summer when warm

well to tell you that we really need just a few more details ..... are you using a thermostat ... is the light just for seeing or also for heating .....

i was trying to help :( but you do need just a few more details to be able to give decent information

i was trying to help :( but you do need just a few more details to be able to give decent information
I'm with you mate, totally agree, the more that gets asked the more I learn so I will ask the question. Nigini( Olive Python ) is in a 4 foot tank at the moment, we live in QLD so does not get terribly cold in Summer as you know. We have a 100w basking lamp at one end and the temp sits on about 36c the other end is 24 at this precise moment. I have the light on for 12 hours then of for 12 hours so are we on the right road.. Cheers and thanks for everything you guys much appreciated. Joe

yer i have heat light that it is under right now and a heat mat on at the bottom og the cage.
Its a 3 level tank
1st level just for hanging on branchers and looking around
2nd level is for the heat light with a tissue box to sleep in
3ed layer is the heat mat
p.s is the heat matt and light supposed to be on alday

flick the mat and keep the light. If he is under it right now then he probably prefers to bask that way.

yer i have heat light that it is under right now and a heat mat on at the bottom og the cage.
Its a 3 level tank
1st level just for hanging on branchers and looking around
2nd level is for the heat light with a tissue box to sleep in
3ed layer is the heat mat
p.s is the heat matt and light supposed to be on alday
Hi conor I am a newbie when it comes to snakes and not qualified to answer the simplest question but I would say no to the light ( equal lengths I think I read ) 12 on 12 off, as for the heat mat I don't know but someone will put you right that I am sure. Regards and good luck. Joe

Hi conor I am a newbie when it comes to snakes and not qualified to answer the simplest question but I would say no to the light ( equal lengths I think I read ) 12 on 12 off, as for the heat mat I don't know but someone will put you right that I am sure. Regards and good luck. Joe

For a hatchy, you want to have the heat on 24/7. as you have 2 heat sources, it wont matter if you turn one (eg lamp) off as the snake will seek out the other heat source (eg. mat). but if less than a year old it will require heat of some sort 24/7.

thanks mate, i dont have a thermostat, i just have a heat mat that i bought from a reptile shop, he is on that most of the day but at night he goes up to the light and sunbakes there.
the heat matt is always on, and i put the 100w light on a 6.00 pm

have you got a thermometer? i would hazard to guess that unless your enclosure is massive a 100w would be putting out way to much heat.

You need to get a thermostat straight away. do a search on here for heat mat fails. they are dangerous if not used properly and can cause burns to your snake, and fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back