Dobermans?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dailyskin

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a doberman?

We are looking to get one in the near future, hopefully, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them (hubby had one, very beloved, when he was a kid).

In particular, we have chosen the breed for their great reputation with kids, and also to be a bit of protection (visual!) when I am home alone or going for a run.

Any info or pics would be great!

Not sure how far you want to travel, but if you head down to some dog shows at KCC Park in Skye you could chat to breeders and see their dogs aswell. I did that with my Shar-peis, and am very happy I did. Going through a breeder that shows their dogs you know they're trying to breed out any genetic problems and usually also breed for temperment if they choose to show them.

Dobermanns are gorgeous, although its a shame that to get the stereotype look their ears are cropped and tails docked, which is illegal in Aust.
Just doesnt look the same with the big floppy ears...

I actually like the floppy ears lol!

But we will likely get the tail docked - even if it means taking a holiday to WA. I've heard too many stories of tails getting caught / broken etc because they were never bred to have tails. Maybe over coming years the tails will naturally be bred shorter and thicker by breeders, as in the case of some other dogs?

Tails dont really get caught or broken etc unless you have a dog doing more extreme exercises, like pig hunting or pole jumping (think thats the name?). One breeds tail isnt much different to anothers. The only reason breeds tails were docked was for looks or so the owner could pull the dog back out of a fox hole etc by the tail and it wouldnt harm the dog too much. Which IMO is just as bad as yanking on any dogs tail. Still pulling on the spine in the end.

Dobermans are gorgeous although i only have a malamute atm.
anyways, check this site out www.dogzonline.com.au
Hope u can get a good breeder near your place.
Good Luck!
(T)

*click on breed pages n go to Dobermann*

Last edited:
Dobermans are great dogs, can be very excitable so obedience training a must also need a lot of excercise. on the docking issue, i have a 2yr old boxer with tail and she has never hurt it despite wacking it on some fairly hard surfaces such as cnr of brick walls. i am a vet nurse and since the new laws came in i have yet to see an amputation of a dogs tail because of injury. pls dont encourage the continuation of docking. But pls get a doberman if thats the right dog for you they are a lovely breed.

But we will likely get the tail docked - even if it means taking a holiday to WA. I've heard too many stories of tails getting caught / broken etc because they were never bred to have tails. Maybe over coming years the tails will naturally be bred shorter and thicker by breeders, as in the case of some other dogs?

I don't know where people get the rumors of WA & legal tail docking???

cosmetic tail docking is banned in WA and has been since 2003, and nation wide since 2004.

its all written in the animal welfare act-
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_reg/awr2003292/s14.html

ANIMAL WELFARE (GENERAL) REGULATIONS 2003 - REG 14
14 . Further offences (s. 94) — tail docking
(1) In this regulation, a reference to tail docking means the amputation of one or more coccygeal vertebrae, leaving at least the first coccygeal vertebrae intact (unless the health of the animal will be adversely affected by the retention of that first vertebrae, in which case it includes the removal of that vertebrae).

(2) A person who is not a registered veterinary surgeon shall not carry out tail docking of a dog.

Penalty: $2 000.

(3) A registered veterinary surgeon shall not carry out tail docking of a dog unless he or she believes that there are sufficient reasons for the tail docking to proceed for therapeutic or prophylactic purposes.

Penalty: $2 000.

its funny though, because australia is still following the international breed standard which has the tail docked. so i don't know where & who are tail docking dobermanns but its still being done.

and the stories of tail injuries is just that, stories to help fuel and scare people into tails are evil and destroy the world. sure you get tail injuries, but you dont need to dock them off. while were at it we mays well dock there legs to prevent them from breaking and injuring them too.

i wouldnt have a dobey unless its ears were cropped and tail docked. i'l stick with the pittys.

I think people get the idea it is allowed over in WA due to a RSPCA rescue episode, that the lady said she had taken her puppies to WA to have their tales docked.

yea i remember that Mrs I that lady was a rude cow to the rspca worker
"i dont have to tell u where i got it done" blah blah blah

then at the end they showed one with its tail etc from a different owner and it looked gorgeous :D

my aunty had two dobermans when i was growing up daily and they were always great with us kids, very energetic dogs tho thats for sure lol

probably done by dodgy vets that docked them under "prophylactic purposes" & are $$$$ hungry.

we had our first Doberman for just over 11 yrs and he passed away to to cardio-myopathy which is somewhat common in Dobermans. He was the best dog we have had great with kids etc, but as others have mentioned they need to be trained, which is fairly easy as they are very smart. There are 3 colours available, black and tan, red and tan and blue dobermans. Steer clear of the blue ones as they have skin problems and are difficult to look after. Google Blue Doberman Syndrome for more info. At the moment we have a black and tan and a red and tan and although they are still puppies they are showing signs of being intelligent and easy trained dogs. Give it a go but get one from a registered breeder.

PS our first Dob had a docked tail and the 2 new ones dont and they look great.

Ohh the red ones are still pretty dark, more like a dark brown with tan? I just saw some pics... I think we'll try to find a red, hubby is grumpy about having another black in case it 'ruins the memory of Rastus' lol...

Dobes are lovely dogs. Intelligent, affectionate & a great with the family & kids. They are a dog I would own in a second! My sister had one & she was just gorgeous. I have to disagree with getting a pup via dog show breeders though. Very often they breed to the "standard" only & hang the temp. And the "Standard " changes with passing fads. We got a lovely Shepherd who had been taken to the vet to be put down by one such "show dog "person. Why?? Cos she didn't have the required saddle marking! She was, by far, the best Shepherd I have shared my life with...( sorry Dana!). Just hunt around till you find THE pup that is right for you. Take your time, is my advice & don't be fooled by the logic that buying from a breeder is best. I know from experience that isn't always the case! Check shelters for pups, check the local paper, shop notice boards etc. He/she could be waiting there for you! And post pics when he/she arrives so we can all ooh & aah over it, lol.

Not sure how a Dobey's tail is any different to a Ridgeback/Greyhound or any other dog with a long, thin tail. We know loads of people with these breeds who haven't docked the tails and they have never had any injuries.

If you are just keeping it as a pet, It seems bizarre and a bit unpleasant to be considering docking it. I would get an opinion from a reputable vet before you make a decision.

Take your time, is my advice & don't be fooled by the logic that buying from a breeder is best.

Im guesing you are refering to show breeders that breed for appearance only, because there are many reputable breeders that breed to better the breed. ie, keeping strong working lines, good temprements and minimize and reduce bad heraditory health traits.

if you are looking to breed, good breeders is where i would be going for your dog of choice. but if you just want a pet for companionship and not interested in a particle breed/purpose I would go a rescue.

the "Standard " changes with passing fads.

oh, and not all breed standards change with passing fads. take the rottweiler standard for instance. hasn't changed since it was created back in 1907, except in 1998 when the tail set changed from docked to natural.

But we will likely get the tail docked - I've heard too many stories of tails getting caught / broken etc because they were never bred to have tails.

What the hell does that mean? Of course they were meant to have tails, in case you didn't know tails help alot of dogs and cats keep their balance when running and helps to change direction faster. They weren't meant to have tails? To eveyone else out there that says they wont own a breed of dog unless its ears are cropped or tails docked, get a life. Its still animal cruelty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back