Dobermans?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have owned to Dobermans,they were the biggest wooses out.They were great with kids but did need a lot of exercise;)
I now have a guard/protection trained Rotty.Bloody great dog and he does like to just lie around and be slack just like me:lol:

Whitey, the Rotie you describe is the Rottie I knew. I haven't seen one like that for quite a while now, mores the pity.
While I don't know much about showing dogs, I have some experience ( 5 years ) in the show ring & have seen first hand how the "standards" get bent to suit the particular judge at the time. One show, one judge, one opinion of worthiness. Doesn't really add up to a whole lot when you look at the bigger picture!

I had a Doberman about 10 years ago now,
she was the most beautiful dog..she had a docked tail but floppy ears and i wouldnt of had her any other way, i really dont like the cropped ears look. FLoppy is much better

I agree with Australis comment, they adore the family and are actually big sooks hehe but i will never forget the day Bonnie was in the garage and a friend of my dads came over, he was parked out on the road and he stayed on the road, didnt even come up to the house...Bonnie was let out of the garage, she saw the guy talking to my dad and just charged him...if my dad hadnt called her off she would have ripped into him. Not sure what it was about the guy..but she went off!

You need to give them alot of exercise tho, they get bored easy. Id get another Doberman definately!! But i would need a large yard and alot more time than i have to give

My parents got rid of Bonnie after id moved out, and they didnt tell me... i was devastated when i found out, she was perfect., we used to go to the cemetary at night (I know..sounds morbid and weird..lol) and she loved chasing rabbits.... i have a few pics of her but i dont have a scanner :(

Should u get a Doberman??
YES!!!! You definately should!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm sorry WHAT?! That is the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard...

They were never bred to have tails? They are bred and born WITH tails - that's the whole reason people cut them off! :lol:

A few people here have misinterpreted my comment that 'dobes were never bred to have tails'. Perhaps there is a semantical misunderstanding. But what I said is CORRECT! What I mean is that, when dobes were bred originally, and throughout the years, they were NOT bred with the intention of having tails.

That is, they were bred and refined with the knowledge that the tails would simply be 'cut off', and therefore, no efforts were made, in breeding, to refine or develop the tail.

So, many breeders have told me that they are STARTING to breed for tail appearance too, breeding dogs with thicker and shorter tails, in the hope that, in coming generations, the tails will naturally be physically and aesthetically better.

My vet likens tail docking to infant circumcision - the dog will suffer for only a little while, will likely forget the pain, and it MAY prevent the operation needing to be done later on for medical reasons. However, it is essentially an aesthetic choice, and one that will always cause pain, no matter how temporary.

my pop had one called ben when i was 3 he was tan and really cute he had a tail and floppy ears he had a really good temperment and he loved playing with me and my younger siblings their really good dogs and look good with or without a tail

My vet likens tail docking to infant circumcision - the dog will suffer for only a little while, will likely forget the pain, and it MAY prevent the operation needing to be done later on for medical reasons. However, it is essentially an aesthetic choice, and one that will always cause pain, no matter how temporary.

A dog's tail is an extension of its spine. It helps them to keep balance when they run. It is also used to show excitement or agitation. It is not put there for aesthetic purposes!

For your vet to hypothesise that it may have to be removed at a later date so why not just do it now is just silly. It is like saying, when a baby is born, oh he might break his leg playing sport- best that we cut it off now- he wont feel pain for a long and it will prevent it having to be done later on.

Some IDIOT cut my dog's tail off when she was a pup (I got her from the pound). It was cruel and senseless. My vet has always been an advocate for leaving dogs as they are born- with their tails AND their ears (remember when they used to get the tips cut off so they stood up better?)

Sorry to go off on a tirade- just hate it when people hurt defenceless animals just so they “look better” :evil:

For your vet to hypothesise that it may have to be removed at a later date so why not just do it now is just silly. It is like saying, when a baby is born, oh he might break his leg playing sport- best that we cut it off now- he wont feel pain for a long and it will prevent it having to be done later on.

That's not what I, or the vet, was saying! We both agreed that it is NOT a good idea, but that those are some of the reasons people use. Not good reasons, but reasons nonetheless! Perhaps to understand my comment I should add that I am ANTI infant circumcision!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back