does anyone here NOT use thermostats?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montysrainbow

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
ok im lucky Gorgoos came with one wired in....however i am not sure if i will bother getting one for Monty because the way i see it is as long as they have a warm section and a cool section its fine. I place my hand in and can clearly feel a warm and cool spot...he moves from the warm 2 cool so obviously he knows what he wants. Does anyone else agree with my theory or do u think they are important?

i dont use a thermostat, depends how your enclosure is set up, if u have one there you might aswell use it

i used to, then it died and i realised when i left a probe in there that my heat mat didnt get above 36 degrees so ive left it off.

i have a new thermostat coming in the mail so it will go back on, im paranoid it will break and overheat.

his cool end is cold enough for him to get away from the heat if hes too hot.

zipping on a flame suit right now.

I don't use A thermo for anything just make sure the room containing you reps doesn't get stinking hot. As temps get up pretty quick and there is no way to retreat

hmm...thats the thing i dont have one here. I did go to buy one and the chick suggested i didnt bother or at least not rush into it! however over the phone the day before the same store lol another chick strongly advised a got a $180 one! :?

You can get fairly cheap ones off ebay from china. I brought two but have never used them lol. The only thing I will splash out that sort of $$ on would be an incubator and my GTP display enclosure thermos and that's it. Plus all my lizards will be going outside when their enclosures are built and you can't connect the sun to A thermostat can you?

ahhh i wish i lived up north so you could just let them live through the heat of the day and night.. no artificial heating required...

DAMN YOU BATHURST!! DAMMNNN YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!! *shakes fist*

no well thats just it! its all so different having them in captivity with artificial heating and lighting. My husband thinks im being a worry wart lol ahhh i dunno.

i have 8 enclosures running without thermostats, 4 use 25 watt heat cord, under slate with a hide on top for my woma's. temps about 33-34 in the hide, room temp in the rest of the enclosure. and the other 4 i use 40w spotlight globes in my beardie tanks, hot spot about 40 degrees, hot end in the 30's cool end in the 20's.

only thermostats i have running are incubators, and where ever a larger heat source is used, like my 75w ceramic's and heat panels

It all depends on what you are trying to heat & to what temperature?

I'm in the Latrobe valley, and it can get pretty damn cold... I have one and always will.
My tanks are 5ft long, I have ceramic heaters, and if I was to figure out what wattage I needed to get to have a constant nice hot spot of 30 or so... My brain would melt.

Mine are microclimate NIGHTEYE's...
So the temp drops at night like in the wild.

Saves me the hassle.
Power bill I believe would drop as it's not on 24/7 at full power.

What's in Monty's cage at the moment heat wise?
You say you can feel a warm spot and a cool spot...

its a pretty simple set up one side has a 50 watt heat light (day and night bulb) with a heat mat directly under it and other side nothing. View attachment 247730

Last edited:
So the heat mat kicks in when the light is off?
or is that on all the time?

also, what do you mean by a day and night bulb?
you have 2 different lights?
If you have a heat light like those red ones, I don't think you'd need the heat mat...

Have you noticed I'm being serious for once?
:shock:

Last edited:
lol yes i did! r u mad at me 4 bagging 1 direction....im sorry :( lol now back 2 the thermo thing umm heat mat is on all the time...it feels warm not hot and its under part of his hide not all of it. the other side of enclosure feels nice....not cold just cooler than the warm side lol if that makes sense!

at night i use a red one and during day just a normal white light.

Pfft, no...
I hate One Direction. :oops:

Well, I personally don't see the point of having a heat mat right below a heat light.
I'd probably go buy a thermometer, and see what the temperatures actually are.

If you need a heat mat and a heat light to warm up his cave/basking spot to the right temp, I'd just put a bigger wattage globe in it.
Save running to things instead of one.

just one light at a time...i dont use 2.

thats what i thought! but the reptile guys at the shop i go 2 said def keep his heat mat!!!! Arrggghhh lol so confusing. they also said dont use a higher wattage bulb for that size enclosure :rolleyes:

Ask why?

As I can see, if he needs two sources of heat, just ditch one and up the other and BAM.

I'm no expert, but it makes sence to me.

IMO. I'd keep the night and day light, but ditch the heat mat, check the temps, and if it needs t o be a little warmer, go to a 60W light.
Then re-check the temps.

hmm....because he uses both...and is a stimson i think i will keep both. I only use heat light 4 my coastal but yeah....monty enjoys his tummy heat lol he told me :p

I will maybe get a thermo but either way i am still cuirious as to who uses them or not :)

ps. Thanks everyone 4 the advice
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back