Does anyone know what's wrong with this Eastern Water Dragon Lizard?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cleamsmn27

Reaction score
We have an Eastern Water Dragon (well we think that's what he is anyway) who lives under our porch, and we've noticed that he has some strange markings on his tail. At first, we thought it looked as though he may have been attacked by another lizard, but recently it has become worse and spread further on him. Does anyone know what might be wrong with him? We have grown to really like the little guy and would really like to help him.

Attachments

• this one.jpg
    this one.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 227
Looks to me like it's very underweight aswell, possibly on its last legs

He has most likely been forced out of an area by a dominant male. The tail is targeted during fighting and the fleeing male generally ends up between colonies in a marginalised environment and becomes highly stressed due to poor conditions and lack of nutrition. I get several of these each year.

Thanks a lot, Peter. That makes a lot of sense as we have seen another lizard in the same area, much larger than him. Do you think he could be on his last legs?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, We have tried giving him food but he wont eat it! Do you know why he is not eating? He does look under weight, as someone else has previously mentioned. Do you know what we should try feeding him? Thanks again!

looks like some type of fungus on it and looks underweight, not to sure though?
It also could be shedding?

They generally will not eat while being observed. Its best if they are kept isolated from extraneous activities. They eat fruit, veg, inverts and can also take various pet foods, fish etc. They like to be able to immerse themselves fully in water for their ablutions. This needs to be changed a couple of times a day. Force feeding as a starter may be required. The problem is thateventually it will need to be released again and finding a new location isn't straight forward. i have started a few new colonies in the past but they dont always work out.

I would suggest that you pass it on to a rescue group or a herp vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back