does the Aust herp world need an overhaul?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionMorelia

Reaction score
just wondering what you guys think?
After a years of thinking then a year of research, reading,talking and collecting all things herp related i have developed a few ideas/ideals i personally think this industry/hobby/obsession needs what do u guys think i know im a total newbie here but something needs a change

1. licencing. i personally believe a reptile lic needs to have a test b4 getting it, seriously how many people do we see with exactly ZERO knowledge of herps asking questions that seriously if your asking u shouldn't have a herp,
E.G i have a new snake in a tiny fish tank with no heat and he wont eat plse help!!etc etc
i think a small test on the basics would be good!

2. measurements/weights. everything u read is slightly different and a bitch to read/deal with 1 place has everything in cm measurement's some inches some mm some in feet cant we have 1 standard across the board?

3. new herpers treatment. I have seen it here i have seen it everywhere, why is it when someone comes here or other places asking very basic questions about animals they are forced to deal with snide/insulting remarks and general forum abuse? with such a loose lic system requiring zero knowledge about the area to get a lic shouldn't we be helping newbies as much as possible to ensure the safety and health of the animal?
i dont think people with zero knowledge should have a herp, but they can get the lic with no knowledge so its up to us to ensure the person/animal gets the essential help asap! not the person be humiliated and abused until they just wing it!

and finally

4. infighting. the chronic infighting here and at many other areas of herp interest, people fight about the smallest most idiotic things like spelling, pronunciation and crap like that when i 1st came here i was slightly afraid to post due to the points above and this one especially. new herpers should be make to feel welcome and unafraid to post, when they come and see long term members abusing, flaming and harassing each other it makes them less willing to post/become members and learn!

ps i know this is a forum for debate and spirited conversation but come on guys it wont take much to change some things to make herping more user friendly..
that being said i wont be posting here much more after receiving some abusive pm's, insulting reply's to serious questions posted and general bs etc etc

nice meeting most of you i will always read here everyday as i learnt more here than i did in any book but i wont be asking anymore questions or the like
thanks everyone
NatoRey

most only cop it from other when they are new to the site like i was i had been keeping for about two years and are doing great even showed my spotted to an old co-worker thats been working with herps for like 15 years. she ask how was i keeping him and all and seen how much he had grown and healthy he. i mostly ask questions to see if im on the right track. but there is somethink u can learn each day. i did research on keeping before i did research on breeding. i had research about keeping since i was 13. i did not even know bout this site since someone told me about it just about a month ago. i know sometime i look like a moron asking questions but it how every one else see it like that not the person thats asking. every one has different ways and different info.

thanks

I agree with you...
However, with your point about spelling, general spelling mistakes are done by everyone, but what I can't stand is text talk...
General things like lol are obvious, but people who write their WHOLE post with just a few letters irritates me...
How can we reply properly if we can't read it.
And I have seen some instances where they are asked nicely to write it in English so it's understandable,
the person has taken that as an attack and gotten defensive, which has caused everyone else to be nasty and start debates about spelling.

I think we should have less regulation, only species that are vunerable, endangered or dangerous should be regulated IMO. There have been plenty of threads about having tests for reptiles, i think its a bad idea but read through some of the old threads if you want peoples opinions on that.

Measurements will always be differant while there is an imperial system being used overseas and those that are used to it for various reasons, its not that hard to change between the 2 and you can use this site if you cant work them out in your head Online Conversion - Convert just about anything to anything else.

I know what you mean about how new people (especially kids) are treated by many, then again on sites like this you often get people making accounts purely to make rubbish threads and try to stir or fish. It can be hard to know if someone is just ignorant with good intentions or trying to stuff everyone around sometimes.

Learn your spelling good enough and grammer 2 and can be hard to understand and want 2 fite? :lol: ;)

i should have pointed out i meant spelling of the scientific names and the pronunciation of them i didn't even think of the txt speech generation as an over 25yr old i can join u in the txt talk frustration ps i have a kid and he even says lol at the bloody table!

it hard to know what people really know just by going on here. they have no idea what they have read or even work with at pet shops, it hard to know if they have keep for a while and did not know about this site for a while or are really new to keeping.

NotoRay, it's a pity that this is your farewell post, have you been hurt that much?

After a years of thinking then a year of research, reading,talking and collecting all things herp related i have developed a few ideas/ideals i personally think this industry/hobby/obsession needs what do u guys think i know im a total newbie here but something needs a change

1. licencing. i personally believe a reptile lic needs to have a test b4 getting it, seriously how many people do we see with exactly ZERO knowledge of herps asking questions that seriously if your asking u shouldn't have a herp,
E.G i have a new snake in a tiny fish tank with no heat and he wont eat plse help!!etc etc
I think a small test on the basics would be good! There is little chance of that because a/ the majority of keepers wouldn't want it and b/ the licensing people couldn't test anyone because they are not qualified to do that.

2. measurements/weights. everything u read is slightly different and a bitch to read/deal with 1 place has everything in cm measurement's some inches some mm some in feet cant we have 1 standard across the board? Is this a real problem?

3. new herpers treatment. I have seen it here i have seen it everywhere, why is it when someone comes here or other places asking very basic questions about animals they are forced to deal with snide/insulting remarks and general forum abuse? with such a loose lic system requiring zero knowledge about the area to get a lic shouldn't we be helping newbies as much as possible to ensure the safety and health of the animal?
i dont think people with zero knowledge should have a herp, but they can get the lic with no knowledge so its up to us to ensure the person/animal gets the essential help asap! not the person be humiliated and abused until they just wing it! I am sorry to say it but even more sorry to admit to the fact that many people here and elsewhere are too lazy to do little bit of home work, search for topics that have been discussed many times (on here), not to mention to reach out for a book. I think the more experienced members here are very willing to help but when the question is plane stupid then the reply may not be very polite (although it should be).

and finally

4. infighting. the chronic infighting here and at many other areas of herp interest, people fight about the smallest most idiotic things like spelling, pronunciation and crap like that when i 1st came here i was slightly afraid to post due to the points above and this one especially. new herpers should be make to feel welcome and unafraid to post, when they come and see long term members abusing, flaming and harassing each other it makes them less willing to post/become members and learn! I wouldn't call spelling and grammar crap. If we can't communicate effectively, we won't understand each other and the waffling as a result is what I would call "crap".

ps i know this is a forum for debate and spirited conversation but come on guys it wont take much to change some things to make herping more user friendly..
that being said i wont be posting here much more after receiving some abusive pm's, insulting reply's to serious questions posted and general bs etc etc "herping more user friendly.." - posting on a forum is not herping, it's a side line that only about 10% of herpers participate in. Also, many are here for other reasons than herping - it's a social interaction activity that often brings and best and the worst i people.

nice meeting most of you i will always read here everyday as i learnt more here than i did in any book but i wont be asking anymore questions or the like
thanks everyone
NatoRey

Cheers
Michael

I think certain things need to be altered, but there are bigger fish to fry than what has been posted here.

In response to your points:

1. There are many flaws in the current system, but further restrictions will not benefit the hobby.

2. It is all too simple to use an online converter, or familiarise yourself with other common units of measurement.

3. It is not the fault of the authorities that some people refuse to research the basic needs of an animal. Many keepers - not just newbies, will get flamed for doing stupid things. No matter how little knowledge you have on the subject, if someone shows that they have taken initiative, read a simple book or two, done a google search perhaps, and then asked us to fill in the gaps - they will have their question answered and not in a nasty manner. When people cannot be bothered spending a minute of their time to educate themselves, and come on here asking us about simple things that ANY herp keeper SHOULD already know, that's when people get annoyed. This is not confined to the herp community by any stretch of the imagination.

4. People will always argue - and it's not confined to the herp community either. This exists everywhere, and not everyone will get along. Conflict is not always a bad thing either.

i think a small test on the basics would be good! they do this in QLD already and would be good other places, just basic knowledge test, the other more advanced stuff like breeding should have at least a 2-3year's of holding a licence before trying breeding.

2. measurements/weights. everything u read is slightly different and a bitch to read/deal with 1 place has everything in cm measurement's some inches some mm some in feet cant we have 1 standard across the board?basicly IMO different measurements suit different sercomstances ei; cm and feet for measuring reptiles, feet also for if buying an enclosure - shops sell enclosures in feet not mm all that much & for mm is used when building your own enclosure as wood measurments are only in mm.

3. new herpers treatment. I have seen it here i have seen it everywhere, why is it when someone comes here or other places asking very basic questions about animals they are forced to deal with snide/insulting remarks and general forum abuse? with such a loose lic system requiring zero knowledge about the area to get a lic shouldn't we be helping newbies as much as possible to ensure the safety and health of the animal? but people only really get anoyed when the same question is being asked everyday from every newbe, if the newbe's did a search they would find there answer much quicker then starting yet another thread. that and when we sound like we are giving insolt or smugg replies its only because we already gave you the best possible advise and the newbe's already have an idea and anything that not what they don't want to hear they get all annoyed. so its not like where not trying to help.
i dont think people with zero knowledge should have a herp, but they can get the lic with no knowledge so its up to us to ensure the person/animal gets the essential help asap! not the person be humiliated and abused until they just wing it!they only get this was if the more exsperienced people have already given advice and they refuce to listern, people wont help if they arn't going to listern!

and finally

4. infighting. the chronic infighting here and at many other areas of herp interest, people fight about the smallest most idiotic things like spelling, pronunciation and crap like that when i 1st came here i was slightly afraid to post due to the points above and this one especially. new herpers should be make to feel welcome and unafraid to post, when they come and see long term members abusing, flaming and harassing each other it makes them less willing to post/become members and learn!not everyone is perfect I for one am retarded at spelling but I found that cutting and paste in word helps heeps, at least doing this no one can tease you over your horrable spelling.

that being said i wont be posting here much more after receiving some abusive pm's, insulting reply's to serious questions posted and general bs etc etc don't go man, everyone gets this when there new, but there is allot of people that do just hop on here to make a fight and nothing more, just need to learn which people are serious and which ones arn't. just the way of the ozzy reptile world lol you get used to it. there are alot of nice and very informative people on this site though and alot of new people that think they no stuff but in most cases there getting the wrong info thats from an american site and for exotics and not aussy species. so don't leave just hold in there and take it one day at a time if you need something answered do a search on the forum if you cant find it then ask the question.

thanks everyone
NatoRey

thats my 2 cents worth

not just that they do a back ground check to make sore they and no x's on your name with the RSPCA and even the cops

humans will always scwabble about the smallest things, its a natural instinct, one human thinks he knows better than the other blah blah some people think they are more 'superior' than others and that they know the works inside and out (they are known as the tribe of high horse men :D) i guess its all apart of life and the best thing to do is move on, ignore and just laugh at how arrogent and shameful they are and be thankful you didn't turn out like them :) please stay, i know i cant give you a real reason to stay because i dont even know you but just by doing all that research and taking time to think out your answers may inspire other people to do the same and maybe just maybe even and few people, could correct themselves and take care of their animals properly before buying more and getting into a mess.

PS: 'HE' in this post is not directed at male people it is a generalization for male and female hahahah i learnt that out of a book i was reading :)

You make some interesting points. I think much of what your saying has to do with forums in general.

The idea behind having the licencing is that people are supposably motivated and persistant enough to apply for a licence that they will also be motivated to do some homework on the species they are keeping. I personally think that all states should follow the NSW style of licencing. The authorities in NSW dont allow the sale of reptiles in petstores, this means that the only way to purchase animals if from an experienced breeded or society that can offer advice.

Last edited:
Aussiebluetongue, you are a prime example of a bright young person capable of making an intelligent statement. If others were like you, the "badies" wouldn't have a chance to attack or criticise.
How many times have we seen a thread titled "I suppose this is a stupid question" .... what does it tell you about the author?

thankyou waterrat, but i have to be honest i have had my fair share of stupid posts and silly questions that all i needed to do to find the answer i seeked was research but that was sometime ago in another forum and i have moved on and learned how to become more of an adult and to 'think' first before i ask. I guess you just have to take the bad with the good and visa versa. You will always get people out there that want to make you feel lower than them and that will bad mouth you for a silly mistake all you really need to do is 'soldier on' its kinda an old statement but its what my dad has always taught me and i live by it every day as i tend to snap easily sometimes :)

what it tells you about the author is that they are asking a stupid question that could of been easily answered by just doing some research. Basic knowledge is not handed to you instantly all knowing is found by finding it in books, the internet and other people. If you can not find what you are looking for then its time to ask the oh wise and exprienced forum gods :) that way everyone is happy and nobody walks away angry or upset. If you ask a genuine question and you get flamed by some noob then all you have to do is just ignore and focus on the good advice the 'right' people are giving you, those are the principals of surviving and living peaceful on this forum. I rest my case hahaha my post are suddenly becoming awfully long :\

Aussiebluetongue, you are a prime example of a bright young person capable of making an intelligent statement. If others were like you, the "badies" wouldn't have a chance to attack or criticise.
How many times have we seen a thread titled "I suppose this is a stupid question" .... what does it tell you about the author?

There are no stupid questions just stupid people :lol:

Alot of people get alot of confidence sitting behind a computer screen...i think the flamers are just bored people you get with every forum ,yes there are alot of cowboys in this hobby...but i think that most of the conflict on this forum is what comes with all forums...i don't see any fights or childish name calling at expos :lol:

There are plenty of people on every forum that have high post counts and believe they are god's for it. It is just something you get used to and just try and steer away from them in answering their posts.
Sometimes instead of flaming someone for asking basic questions its better to just not answer. There are plenty of ignorant newbies that will ignore all advice given but we should not paint them all with the same brush! Some will learn and are here for that sole purpose, i have no problem helping these people with any problems that i can. It is just the other type i flat out refuse to help.
Remember there are many people who are not members aswell that lurk and read the infomation provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back