does the Aust herp world need an overhaul?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should have less regulation, only species that are vunerable, endangered or dangerous should be regulated IMO. There have been plenty of threads about having tests for reptiles, i think its a bad idea but read through some of the old threads if you want peoples opinions on that.

Measurements will always be differant while there is an imperial system being used overseas and those that are used to it for various reasons, its not that hard to change between the 2 and you can use this site if you cant work them out in your head Online Conversion - Convert just about anything to anything else.

I know what you mean about how new people (especially kids) are treated by many, then again on sites like this you often get people making accounts purely to make rubbish threads and try to stir or fish. It can be hard to know if someone is just ignorant with good intentions or trying to stuff everyone around sometimes.

Learn your spelling good enough and grammer 2 and can be hard to understand and want 2 fite? :lol: ;)
central bearded dragons shouldnt be on the licence coz everyone keeps them and theres a lot of people keeping them illegally?

There are plenty of people on every forum that have high post counts and believe they are god's for it.

Is this really true? I can only think of one person I would apply this rule to on APS, IMO. I think that the flaming comes from a much wider group than those with high post counts... I would think it has to do with their online ego than how long they've been on the site? I've heard this stated a number of times, and just thought that it was a bit misleading... Heaps of people on here with high post counts are both experienced and great to deal with.

Is this really true? I can only think of one person I would apply this rule to on APS, IMO. I think that the flaming comes from a much wider group than those with high post counts... I would think it has to do with their online ego than how long they've been on the site? I've heard this stated a number of times, and just thought that it was a bit misleading... Heaps of people on here with high post counts are both experienced and great to deal with.

like you kristy :) ;)

Over the years of meeting keepers and professional herpetologists at herp group meetings, at museums, universities, on field surveys, etc, I have noticed commonalities and segregation between the types of people involved with reptiles and frogs. From what I've observed, passionate keepers attempt to find a voice through the medium of the internet. More often than not, keepers come to loggerheads over husbandry issues, etc. On the other hand, there is the realm of professional herpetologists whom often work with reptiles in a research capacity, such as at zoos, in laboratories, or in the bush (but also dabble with keeping as well). Professional herpetologists tend to share their knowledge quietly and confidently, disseminating information to those that will listen, and are far less likely to resort to the type of indignant rant so often seen on websites. Because of this sort of behaviour and elementary level infighting, I believe is the reason such websites lack the participation of Australia's leading herpetologists, whom are conspicuous by their absence.

Unfortunately, yes. "higher post count" = better than you!!! they believe they have more of a right to "be here" than you. it is sad.

Kristy more often than not the higher the post usually means more irrelevant posts ( ie general chit chat ). I do agree there are many very knowledgeable and sound reasoning people here, but in saying that they are scarce compared to the numbers of people intent on bringing down others!

like you kristy :) ;)

Unfortunately, yes. "higher post count" = better than you!!! they believe they have more of a right to "be here" than you. it is sad.

Rubbish!! I only have a high thread count because I have no work to do ;) This definitely does not make me better than anyone else! I actually received a PM one day telling me "XXXX posts since April?!? GET A LIFE!!"..... Sad, but all too true ;)

Couldn't agree more percy. It's a shame because it deters the people who really are in a position to be helpful to others.

Kristy more often than not the higher the post usually means more irrelevant posts ( ie general chit chat ). I do agree there are many very knowledgeable and sound reasoning people here, but in saying that they are scarce compared to the numbers of people intent on bringing down others!

Totally agree, percey... most of my posts are pretty irrelevant ;) (But seriously, totally agree.)

In my opinion a basic knowledge test would be a good idea to ensure people aren't jumping into the hobby with no knowledge at all.

My idea would be to have a standardised book available at a subsidised price which would give a good overview of everything, and then there was an online website with say a bank of a few hundred multiple choice questions and 50 get selected.

Even if you were unsure of the answer you would have the book to reference your answer and you are gaining some experience by looking up answer.

you also have a good book for further referencing which may answer basic problems they experience when first starting out.

In my opinion a basic knowledge test would be a good idea to ensure people aren't jumping into the hobby with no knowledge at all.

My idea would be to have a standardised book available at a subsidised price which would give a good overview of everything, and then there was an online website with say a bank of a few hundred multiple choice questions and 50 get selected.

Even if you were unsure of the answer you would have the book to reference your answer and you are gaining some experience by looking up answer.

you also have a good book for further referencing which may answer basic problems they experience when first starting out.

If this was to be applied to the reptile industry, why not the pet industry in general? Plenty of people, in fact, more people than those that jump into the herp world without enough knowledge, buy puppies, kittens, parrots, small animals, and livestock without even the proper basic knowledge of keeping them.

When there are no rules for the rest of the pet industry I find it hard to believe the herp industry would enforce this successfully.

God. I'm slow. I've never even looked at how many posts anyone has made.
* slaps her head

God. I'm slow. I've never even looked at how many posts anyone has made.
* slaps her head

Not such a bad thing at all.

Best to focus on the content of each post, as post count is irrelevant in terms of the credibility of the poster.

1.Bureaucrats make the rules regarding licences.
2. Some people on here have used both measurements all their lives and are not going to change.
3.Some posts are nearly impossible to decipher because of the spelling. For people who can read, this makes it hard to understand.
4.I see the same threads continually, I can see why people get exasperated.
Having said that I can also see why some people get annoyed at answers. But really, it is a forum
where people post their views, if everyone agreed it would be boring.
5. Taking your bat and ball and withdrawing is sookie lala stuff : )

Totally agree, percey... most of my posts are pretty irrelevant ;) (But seriously, totally agree.)

All of my posts are highly intelligent and well worth counting all ofem ;) I think displaying the post count is stupid and has no benifit other than making people like me look like stupid nerds :lol:

All of my posts are highly intelligent and well worth counting all ofem ;) I think displaying the post count is stupid and has no benifit other than making people like me look like stupid nerds :lol:

Relevant or not, high post count does show a certain amount of desperation in your social life, doesn't it? :oops:

I have a high post count...but it's only coz I post crap :p

The biggest overhaul that I think the herp world needs is that people need to focus on what they are doing instead of constantly worrying about what everyone else is doing...

Relevant or not, high post count does show a certain amount of desperation in your social life, doesn't it? :oops:

No im pretty antisocial actually, didnt come here to make friends(snake people are loonies lol). I actually visit the site often to look at pics and post rubbish and occasionally help ppl with keeping reptiles and also improve my language skills which are pretty retarded and.

I (being a newbie) have found that people have been very polite too me.
Mattsnakes, how come your gallery photos is so high??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back