Dog mauled my cat.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugsy

Reaction score
So the story goes...Over the passed few months the neighbours pitbull had been chewing down the fence and had gotten in to our yard more then several times...We had called the pound, told the owner to do something about it...Still nothing happened, pound didnt show up, after leaving several msg's on the answering machine and the owner did nothing to prevent him getting in...This morning, my burmese cat which ive had since i was 12 yrs old, was out sunbaking on our back lawn, the pitbull broke down the fence yet again, and killed my cat. The father of this pitbull had to be put down from the same thing, escaping and attacking other animals, yet the stupid owner kept one of his puppies(the puppy is the one that killed my cat, its not a puppy anymore)...Now the one that attacked my cat today is also being put down...I feel bad for these dogs as it isnt really their fault...I spoke to the police that came out and they said because the owner is having this one put down, thats all that can be done....But surely something more can be done as far as the owner goes, she's so irresponsible and the hole thing was totally preventable. Which makes me more angry. The fact that she didnt do anything to prevent it getting into our yard, should mean she should be taking responsiblity, not the dog....She should be the one who gets put down. Has anyone been through something similar? Is there anything else i could do? Any advice would be good, cheers.
Bugsy

I was expecting to flame you about the poor cat idea, as most peoples cats wander into the dogs yard. But if the dog came into your yard its a different story.
There isnt much you can do, as animals arnt worth squat in the eyes of justice, so be lucky if the owner even got a lecture at all.
If you own this house, or your family does, be best to just make a more secure fence, like colourbond or something.

Well at least the cat was on your property... My neigbours cats come on mine all the time.. Then they never see their cats again :rolleyes: I agree the owners should be charged or fined when they kill on your property .... Cat's don't get put down for eating frogs out of my garden... Well not by a vet anyway!

i cannot offer any advice unfortunately. but i do offer my sympathies over the death of your pet. i agree 100%, that woman should be taking responsibility and never be allowed to keep dogs again.

if he would do it to a cat he would probably do it to a smaller dog or maby even a child, the dog sounds violent and it needs to be fenced in properly not costing u money costing the owners, because its not ur fault the dog is breaking fences etc

im sure if u spoke to the council and tell them ur not just worried about the saftey of ur pets, but if u have young children playing in the yard etc ur worried about there saftey and that u want the dog fenced in with better fencing materials, they will try to help u out in some way, the owner needs to pay to put fencing up that he cant get through before he hurts a child or more pets

im so sorry about what happend to ur cat :( i dont no how u would be feeling right now

I am really sorry to hear that Bugsy :(
& I agree, something needs to be done with the law to make owners more responsible.
Especially as it is not the first time this has happened,. she obviously has learnt no lesson & your Cat & Her dog now have to pay for that,. that is really not fair!

Thats a crock Llama, there arnt many dogs that wont kill a cat unless its been raised around them. Theres nothing worse than someone saying if a dog will kill a cat or a rabbit etc. That it will hurt a child etc.
Im sure my dog, your dog and everybodies dogs would go some sort of smaller animal or fight another dog if the situation arose

imagine if it was a small child !!!!!! stupid dogs have unfortunately stupid owners...sad about your cat ...hope you can at least get a proper fence out of this ,as that is the least the dog owner can do for you ..

mid would u let ur child around a dog that has mauled other animals? i wouldnt. dog sounds violent to me and at the end of the day its destroying fences even if it wasnt hurting people or animals, should be fenced in properly

Thats a crock Llama, there arnt many dogs that wont kill a cat unless its been raised around them. Theres nothing worse than someone saying if a dog will kill a cat or a rabbit etc. That it will hurt a child etc.
Im sure my dog, your dog and everybodies dogs would go some sort of smaller animal or fight another dog if the situation arose

Have to agree with Mid.. surely the cat has been jumping in his yard, walking on top of the fence and infuriation the stupid dog.... Not like he's just going to rip through a fence and go "wow there's a cat to maul"... He knew what he was going to find... how slow was the cat in this situation or rather how fast was the dog!

Probably. No child should be left unnatended around ANY dog, whether its a cat killer or not

Probably. No child should be left unnatended around ANY dog, whether its a cat killer or not

yea like i said to u in chat, a jackrussle nearly took my cousins eye out of his socket as a child, and dog is dangerous!

still bugsy, get someone to do something about fencing the dog in properly

The dog is violent, it went to turn on my mum when she was trying to defend my cat, lucky the neighbour got there in time to stop him otherwise it would have went my mother...if that had of happened, both the dog and owner would be getting put down i can assure you.

yea like i said to u in chat, a jackrussle nearly took my cousins eye out of his socket as a child, and dog is dangerous!

still bugsy, get someone to do something about fencing the dog in properly

The dog is being put down today lana, no real point fixing the fence now, its too late. The police have said if she doesnt get it euthanised today they will come get the dog and take it to be euthanised.

Well there is always a issue with the 'kind' of people who get pitbulls too. Sure some are respectable owners, but alot buy them for the look and to use them as guard dogs in the drug trade etc. ANd therefore give the dogs training from pups to kill guinea pigs, beat their dogs with sticks, and chain massive weights around thier necks to make them "more solid"
At least this is what all the hardcore people brag about anyways....

Have to agree with Mid.. surely the cat has been jumping in his yard, walking on top of the fence and infuriation the stupid dog.... Not like he's just going to rip through a fence and go "wow there's a cat to maul"... He knew what he was going to find... how slow was the cat in this situation or rather how fast was the dog!

The cat is too old fat and lazy to jump fences, thats why he wasnt quick enough to get away....Wouldnt matter even if he was walking on the fence, etc....The fact is, the dog came in to OUR yard and killed the cat.

Well as long as your cat never ever left your property as long as it lived there then you are completely in the right and it sucks big time

Yes, but other people claim victim when their cat gets killed in someone elses yard too.
And be worth putting up a new fence anyways, or chances are it will happen again, and again.

What I don't understand here is:
The dog has got into your yard before
You saw him wrecking the fence
You new he'd harm your cat given the chance
And you let your cat outside unsupervised anyway??????????????????:(
So either you wanted to prove a point at the expense of ya cat OR you didn't see anything from above being a possible threat?
I just know that if my neighbours dog got into my outdoor enclosure.... everything would be kept inside until I found a solution... (since you said the dog has been in your yard before!)

Last edited by a moderator:
What I don't understand here is:
The dog has got into your yard before
You saw him wrecking the fence
You new he'd harm your cat given the chance
And you let your cat outside unsupervised anyway??????????????????:(
So either you wanted to prove a point at the expense of ya cat or you didn't see anything from above being a possible threat?

Yer i heaps wanted my cat to get mauled to death...***???? We put things up against the fence...Put new nails in, etc, etc....We were the only ones who made an effort to fix the fence, that HER dog had caused damage to....We were constantly putting things against the fence, putting new pailings up, whatever we could do to try and stop him getting back in. Cant believe you would even say that? Here i am upset bout my cat, and obviously very angry as you should be able to tell from this thread...And your accusing me of trying to prove a point at the expense of my cat???? Dude, thats messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back