Dry skin and bad shed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike83

Reaction score
Hi my female Stimson which was born on 2/2/10 so shes under 3 years old has been shedding allot last 3 sheds have been not great she shed on the 2/7 then again on the 19/7 and again today and she a has had a dry section along her back which hasn't shed properly even when I get most of it off or all of it its still a bit dry I moved the water bowl closer to the heat source and have started to give her a warm bath once or twice a week will this help with fixing her dry skin section or is there any other things I can do I am not sure why she is shedding so fast between sheds her last feed was in june before she stopped eating in the cooler months. what causes her to shed so many times has this happened to any one else.

Hope I can get some info and advice on whats the best thing to do for her dry skin.

Cheers
Michael

no mites both hide and water bowl are both clean

Hi Michael, Some of what I am about to write is from my own experience/opinion. Some is from the experiences of others whom I have discussed this issue with recently.
I also have a BHP who is going through this at the moment, started probably 2 months ago, after doing lots of investigation there are, (it is suggested), some potential husbandry/health links to this. Humidity can be the cause of bad sheds. However your situation as mine, (if I understand correctly), is not about a humidity problem its about the continual shedding so I will concentrate my response on this element.
Mites, as stated above, or ticks can cause irritation that can cause this behavior.
Retained eye cap. If during a recent shed the eye cap has been retained the animal may force itself to go through another shed to try to remove any un-shed skin
Hyperthyroidism. Unproven. Makes sense but apparently this is almost impossible to prove in reptiles.
The reason the sheds become bad is because of the high frequency of shedding so the animal can not produce sufficient lubricant between the skin layers to properly remove the skin. Also the skin becomes quite fragile and more prone to damage.

There are also occasions when an animal will undergo these strange sheds with no apparent reason, no one that I have spoken to can explain. More often the animal appears to be female but it does happen in males. Appears to happen around this time of year in animals approaching or in their 1st season of sexual maturity particularly in those that have not been allowed to go through brumation.

Personally I currently add a very high humidity area to the enclosure during the shed cycle, this area will hit 70%+ and find my BHP lives almost entirely in this damp area. (You should not do this outside the shed cycle as high humidity can also lead to other health issues). I am also currently treating with sorbaline to help remove any unshed skin.
If you need any more info feel free to inbox me, I can not tell you what will fix your problems but I may be able to offer some moral support/advice from my own experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back