Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dihsmaj

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Does the DSE consider Brown Tree Snakes as venomous?
As in, would I need to do a course (not that any of them let you be under 18 years old) to get one?

In Vic there's the basic and the advanced licence, I have the advanced for my frogs (Growling Grass Frogs) and the vens are on the advanced, but to keep venomous snakes you have to be 18+, or if you're under 18 you have to do a venomous handling course.

on the queensland basic lisence you are allowed two restricted reptiles as long as they are not an elapids or sea snakes. so with BTS being colubrids (sorry if mispelt) you shouldnt have to do a ven course in queensland to keep them. in vic i would say it would be the same with having to do the course for elapids but i cant see why you should have to do it to keep a colubrid.

You do NOT need to do a course in Vic for any animal, an advanced permit does NOT just have elapids, it includes less commonly kept species in Vic, such as BTS, spencers monitors, some frogs, crocs, some turtles etc. If you are under 18 you need parental approval to keep most of these animals not a course as no course (respectable that is) will take a person under 18!.

Are you serious Snakehandler?
I thought it said under 18s need a course and parental approval.

You do need to show you are competent with handling vens to keep them if you are under 18. This is taken from there website, it has (elapidae) in brackets so I assume BTS would be excempt.

[h=2]Keeping venomous snakes[/h]If the holder of an Advanced Licence (or
an applicant) intends to keep venomous (elapid) snakes and is under 18 years of
age, he/she must provide documentary evidence of competency in the handling of
venomous snakes.

See. Private Wildlife Licences

No you do not ever need to show competency to keep any reptile in Victoria, regardless of age. Just get a parent to sign that you can have them and you get an advanced permit, the advanced permit covers elapids and other animals such as spencers etc......so once you have the advanced permit you can go and purchase any venomous snake that it on permit....an inland taipan or coastal taipan if you wish!!

Yes we do run courses in Camberwell......our next course is fully booked and the next one after that is getting full too, however this is not a husbandry course, it is a catch and release course!

No you do not ever need to show competency to keep any reptile in Victoria, regardless of age. Just get a parent to sign that you can have them and you get an advanced permit, the advanced permit covers elapids and other animals such as spencers etc......so once you have the advanced permit you can go and purchase any venomous snake that it on permit....an inland taipan or coastal taipan if you wish!!!

Snake handler, see the section under "keeping venomous snakes" on this DSE webpage Private Wildlife Licences.

How well enforced that rule is I wouldn't know.

[h=2]​From the DSE website:

Keeping venomous snakes[/h]If the holder of an Advanced Licence (or an applicant) intends to keep venomous (elapid) snakes and is under 18 years of age, he/she must provide documentary evidence of competency in the handling of venomous snakes.

......so once you have the advanced permit you can go and purchase any venomous snake that it on permit....an inland taipan or coastal taipan if you wish!!
If that's true, I want a Collett's haha.

Once you have your advanced permit how can DSE regulate what you buy within Victoria, they will only know if you import! There is no respected course that I know of that will take under 18's for venomous snakes......a stat dec from a person who keeps venomous snakes will more than satisfy the DSE!

nsw is slightly different, you can keep most colubrids (naped / marsh / brown and green tree snakes), and some elapids ( crowned / whips / bandeds) , on a r1 without having to upgrade it....
i was interested in yellow face whips....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back