Eastern Brown Bite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think first and foremost everyone here wishes the guy has a speedy recovery and no harm done. But once that is confirmed then we to ask the big questions not only of this guys actions but the circumstances of all bites to keepers. The reasoning is that as elapid keeping has high risks and mistakes can have a lasting impact on not just family and friends but can have a rippling affect to other keepers (similar to other high risk activities). I and I'm sure others feel that all it will take is for one keeper to die from his pet captives or/and the family to sue a wildlife agency and we will lose that legal avenue to keep elapids. Its this fear that has everyone so condemning.

Totally agree Bushfire, couldn't of said it better!

hope your mate is allright. i find it fascinating when it comes to snake bites so more info the better. its all learning. life's full of mistakes and some times we learn from it even if its the hard way.

cheers steve

Im sure even those who consider themselves smarter than the rest of us have made a few dumb decisions in their life. Theres no need to be nasty just for the sake of it

Hmmm.... This is far from the first time a person who keeps a ven or two (not a herpetologist) gets drunk out of their mind and decides to free handle their specimens. More often the individual dies very quickly, so those whom survive are considerably lucky. There was a case here is Australia where a drunk keeper scooped up a handful of baby Tiger Snakes and plonked the lot on his head and neck. A post-mortem revealed he'd been bitten a dozen times. It makes more of a statement about alcohol than ven keeping, in my opinion.

From an ambo's perspective, god dam! That would have been a good job! Code 1 all the way :p. I hope he is recovering well.

It's crazy that he left after having a cardiac arrest! That's pretty much worst case scenario, second too death. You should really go back and see the doctors!

Last edited:
he is well aware of the ramifications.

Which is why he handled a highly venemous snake when drunk, didn't immediately call an ambulance when bitten, and then got up and discharged himself AMA while he was still in danger of injury or death from the longer-term effects of the venom, amirite? Whole lot of ramification-understanding going on there from the looks of things.

Your friend is an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to own something that's liable to kill him in a moment of stupidity he's already shown a great propensity for.

Your friend is an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to own something that's liable to kill him in a moment of stupidity he's already shown a great propensity for.

or from an evolutionary perspective, perhaps he should...

i hope he is ok and beer and vens dont mix has the hospital been notified he has alcohol in hes systen why the hell was he touching a venomous snake in the first place while drinking.

i hope he is ok and beer and vens dont mix has the hospital been notified he has alcohol in hes systen why the hell was he touching a venomous snake in the first place while drinking.

2 years ago, dude...

Further update

Just got a call from the neighbour who was chattin to my mate on the front lawn.
He's feelin a bit sore on the face and in the head. Plus also acheing around the chest... they had to restart him twice. Not sure if I'd be anywhere but in a hospital bed if it was me.

Farrrrrrrrk what a tough nut lol I would be staying in hospital also! (regardless of whether it was two years ago lol)

I know, I know, the thread's 2 years old. The article wasn't too bad, but I couldn't help but notice down the bottom in the related stories bit was a link to a story about another venomous snake "attack". Because all they do is roam around looking for people to bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back